Bootable CD (BCD)

wlmckphd6071

Dell2400 with OEM XP(01/04). XP CD is labeled "reinstallation CD" with Serv.Pak 1a. My new CD-R (not CD-RW) BDC Restore Drive C.iso has 574MB. I shutdown with BCD in drive, turn -on the cmpu and obtain a normal XP loading. Need help. Do I need a Ms "installation CD" rather than the Dell "reinstallation CD" that came with the cmpu. ? I don't want to wait until a disaster recovery and have no viable BCD. If my BCD is valid, what can I expect when I bootup with it ? Thanks much, Walt

Quote:

natew said:

Is your BIOS set up to boot from CD?

Further on this: On many (if not all) recent Dells you can hit F12 at the POST (power on self test) for a boot menu, before you see the WinXP boot logo. Check the top right corner of your screen for a message to this effect. Since it may zip by quickly, I suggest simply hitting F12 once or twice right after you power on to catch the option.

Abe

Hi Natew & Abe,

Thanks very much for your helpful resposes. Concerning Dell F12 boot menue, I was always told be extremely careful with bios/boot changes etc. I have this feature. If I select 4 CD-Rom will I obtain bios or will the cmpu be ready for CD bot ? If ready for CD bot will it auto return to normal bot or do I need a procedure for this ? If it involves the bios boot sequence, how do I use the SPACE, + ,- ? Thanks again, Walt

Quote:

Walt-NJ said:

Hi Natew & Abe,

Thanks very much for your helpful resposes. Concerning Dell F12 boot menue, I was always told be extremely careful with bios/boot changes etc. I have this feature. If I select 4 CD-Rom will I obtain bios or will the cmpu be ready for CD bot ? If ready for CD bot will it auto return to normal bot or do I need a procedure for this ? If it involves the bios boot sequence, how do I use the SPACE, + ,- ? Thanks again, Walt

Go into the BIOS and change the boot order to:

floppy first

cd-rom second

hard drives last.

Then if there's a CD -m the drive and nothing in the floppy drive, you'll boot from the CD.

• 1 month later...

Archived