Disaster Recovery: exclude recycled, cache, temp files? (WinXP, 6.5)

abe

Has anyone run into problems excluding recycled, cache, and temp files from a "full" backup to be used for disaster recovery of a system volume? Browsers usually recreate the cache folder if its missing, but I don't believe I've ever tested whether Windows will automatically recreate the Recycled folders when missing. I would expect so, but it would be nice to hear of specific experience that it does.

FYI, my system is arranged as follows: RAID 1 array partitioned into 4 partitions. C: is the WinXP boot volume, E: is TEMP, to which I've redirected temp file paths, pagefile, and cache files (mostly). Haven't redirected the recycler to E: (if that's even possible, don't think I care anyway). I created a full backup of C:, minus the files/folders mentioned, and created a DR CD.

Of course, installing Windows during DR will recreate the Recycled folders. What happens when Retrospect subsequently restores the drive from the backup set, and doesn't encounter the Recycled folder? Will it attempt to delete the existing one?

Thanks,

Abe

Hi

Even if you exclude a folder from backup it is still stored in the Retrospect snapshot. Retrospect will restore an empty folder with that name upon Restore. Windows won't have to generate a new one. You should be fine excluding recycled Items from your backups.

Nate

Unfortunately, the test I have in mind is the full business: starting from a bare drive, restore a bootable system. That's really the only way to be sure that "disaster recovery" is sound for a time of crisis.

Now, I wonder: I've got RAID 1 set up on this system (2x80GB). If I were to restore the RAID 1 C: backup to a single drive on one of my non-RAID IDE channels, would it boot? I.e., in the absence of RAID, would Windows XP know what to do? (assuming, of course, that I recreated the appropriate partitions first, so that the temp and data drives were available)

I suppose there is still room for a good drive imaging utility that can restore partitions and all.

Abe

Archived