Recover older file is empty but snapshot shows directory

davenfla

I am using 6.5 pro now. A while ago I used 5.x Express to create a backup. I now have a new computer with 6.5. The backup file is on the C drive and I am trying to recover it. Explore shows that it is a 10MB file and the snap shot shows the directories. When I go to recover it, it shows that the backup file is empty and does not restore any files.

Please help.

Dell Inpirion600m with XP and Maxtor 5000LE

Hi

10MB is really small how much data had you backed up?

Was the data stored in a file backup set? If you go to properties on the set in Configure->backup sets it should tell you the set type.

You can always try a catalog rebuild from the tools menu although I would make a copy of the backup file before you try (just in case)

Nate

Nate, thanks for responding. The properties say, "Backup Set A Removable Disks Backup set" Used (empty), Options normal, Security none. The file is a year old but if I remember, I backed up select files from the C drive to this set on the Maxtor USB drive. It now resides on the new computers C drive. The file is Backup Set A.rbc.

When trying to rebuild the catalog, it says it cannot find a removeable disk. Please insert the first memeber or mos recent member known to have a Catalog File for Backup Set Backup Set A. I am not sure what all of this means.

Please help. Thanks

Hi

Sadly it means you don't have a backup. The "used = Empty" means there is nothing in the set. .RBC files are used in conjuction with Removeable disks (ZIP, JAZ, MO DVD-RAM etc). What you needed to do was backup to a "file" backup set as outlined in this article:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27447

Do you have any .RBF files on your disks? Were you using any of the disk types listed above to hold your backup data?

Thanks

Nate

Archived