How to do Weekly backups, then new monthly

hanakj

I'm a new Retro Pro user. My client needs to make weekly backups to one CD, then after the end of the month, eject the CD, store offsite, and pop in a new cd for the next months backups. How would I accomplish this? Can any one tell me the best way to do this?

Natew,

Thanks for the reply. My user is pretty techno illiterate. What he basically wants to do is be able to put in a CD at the beginning of the month and leave it there till the beginning of the next month and then take it to offsite storage. I'm pretty tech savvy, but a newbie to Dantz Retro Pro. How can I set this up to be as automated as possible? Or can you point me to doc that would help? It seems like I'm asking for two separate things; weekly backups AND monthly new media. Can you help?

Hi

The same concept still holds true:

Normal backups to a backup set every day but start a new backup set every month. Problem is CDs get full pretty quickly- how much data is the user backing up.

The best way to do this is to create a script and create a "run document" that is set to do a new media backup. Run documents are desktop Icons that start a backup when clicked. All you have to do is tell the user to click on that Icon every time he wants to change the disk. If you schedule the new media there is always a good chance the user will not change the disk on the right day and the backup will not run.

You make run documents by selecting the script name from the "run" menu at the top of the Retrospect screen.

Nate

Archived