Setting up a good backup strategy beyond the 5 days

pathancock

I see that I can automate a script to backup 5 days of a week using "easy script:

My question is when restoring a file I seem to only have that current week to choose from in the catalog? How can I set it up so I can backup files 5 days of one week, then put another 5 tapes in for the second week and I have to do a restore from the first week have it listed in the catalog?

Right now if I want to backup say last Monday 2/16/04 I can't becuase my catalogs only list MONDAY 2/23 because its a new week? I have a autoloader and was rotating tapes out for 3 weeks but now realize that when restoring I am really only doing 1 week becuase I can't access last weeks catalog because it has been overwritten?

Do I have to create 3 scripts for each week seperately? If so how would I schedule this??

Any help is appreciated

Hi,

I'm not sure you need to change your scripts to do this. You can restore older versions of files by using the add snapshot button to retrieve your old backup sessions. The user manual actually has a pretty good section on this you may want to check out.

Nate

No that did not seem to work either, when I did "add a snapshot" it just showed me the mon-friday of the current week, I could not go back 3 weeks later as I would like to?

I want to be able to do a recovery 3 weeks back but all I seem to be bale to do is the current week (just say tuesday 2/24) but cannot access say tuesday 2/3/04? Its not in my catalogs and it does not give me a choice??

Hi

It sounds like the backups in this set are not as old as you expected. If it doesn't show up in add snapshots it simply isn't there. You might want to check your operations log to make sure backups were running the way you wanted them to.

Have you run a recycle backup to this set recently? How about a new media backup? Do any of your other sets have older backups in them?

There is a remote possibility that the catalog file is damaged. You can try rebuilding that to see if the snapshots come back. I would check the logs first though.

Nate

• 3 weeks later...

Are you using "Normal" or "Recycle" - you should use Normal and then it will initially do a full backup and then keep appending, retaining the snapshots from each backup. You should only need one script. You need to set up a Backup set - eg, each could be for one day, or you can simply rotate as required. Eg ..Set up Back Set A, B C, D, E, F - each should have as many tapes as required. Then create a single script that does something like:

Mon - Backup Set A - Normal

Tues - Backup Set B - Normal

:

:

Sat - Backup Set F - Recycle

That is one scheme .. you can reduce the number of tapes needed, by using the same Backup Set for two different days, eg Mon/Wed- Backup Set A etc. You should be able to see the snapshops in Backup Set properties - if only one week, check the settings on your script schedule, and also make sure it is not recycling each.

Archived