Insufficient Permissions And Sharing Violations

chevysix

I am running Retrospect Pro version 6.5.276 on as system with Windows XP Pro This system has three internal physical hard drives with two of them being mounted in removable trays. In this instance I was trying to back up the C: drive to the other removable hard drive. I received the error messages in the log shown below. I have read everything I can find on permissions and sharing and cannot figure out what my problem is. To my knowledge everything on the c: drive is shared and there is only one user on the system and that is me the administrator.

I have another system on this network running the same operating system. I moved the Retrospect application to that computer system and I can backup that C: drive to a removable drive on that system with no problems what so ever.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Ralph

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Log:

+

Retrospect version 6.5.276

Launched at 1/23/2004 7:13 PM

+ Executing Immediate Backup at 1/23/2004 7:19 PM

To Backup Set Backup Set Ralph1...

Can't use Open File Backup option for DRV1_VOL1 (C:), error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

- 1/23/2004 7:19:58 PM: Copying DRV1_VOL1 (C:)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr0.dat": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr1.dat": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Local Settings\Temp\JET28CD.tmp": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Local Settings\Temp\~DF3C9B.tmp": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Local Settings\Temp\~DF4482.tmp": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Local Settings\Temp\~DF5EBE.tmp": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Local Settings\Temp\~DF7C13.tmp": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

Quit at 1/23/2004 7:29 PM

I used Retrospect for about a month without any problems whatsoever. Then, one day out of the blue, it began to fail in the manner you discribe. Basically, the error message "Can't use Open File Backup option for drive<x>" means that Retro cannot backup files that are locked by another application. Each time it encounters a locked file, it gives an error message.

The archives on this forum show this is a common, long-standing, easily duplicated problem that Dantz's Support never seems to address--shameful IMO.

I run automatic updates in XP, so I suspect one of the MS updates broke it. If this is the case, isn't it Dantz's responsiblity to chase down the cause and issue a patch?

Until Support steps up to the plate on this, I have a cheezy workaround to the problem: before Retrospect runs, I run a script to kill the processes whose data files I want to back up (e.g. Outlook, web server, etc); after Retrospect runs, I run another script to start them again. Although Retrospect still produces the '"Can't use Open File Backup...' error message for each volume, at least I know that important files get backed up.

Joe

Thanks Nate,

Yes, I am trying to back up a local NFTS IDE hardive to another internal NFTS IDE hardrive. To answer your quetion about the shadow copy service, it probably is not running as I am the one who set this system up and I have never heard of that function. I did see an article at Microsoft this evening talking about configuring the system for "Shadow Directories". Is this what you are talking about. If it is, where do I find the Visual SourceSafe Administrator? It sounded like this was meant for Servers rather than straight "Disk to Disk" backupon a local computer.

I really appreciate your help so any specifics you could give me would be really appreciated.

One more question if I may; Looking at the results from the log of the backup in question, and since I made a Disaster Recovery CD after that backup, would that backup work in conjuction with that DR CD to execute a good Disaster Recovery if I lost the Boot disk (C: drive) for either hardware or Software problems?

Hi

Shadow copy is on by default in Windows XP and is required for open file backup to function. Make sure the Volume shadow copy service is running on your system.

Chances are that backup will be good for a full restore. If you are concerned run another normal backup. That should pick up any files that were not backed up the first time. You do not need to create another disaster recovery CD.

Nate

Archived