519 error, or very slow backup

sobiloff

I'm trying to troubleshoot a network backup problem and could use some advice. I recently upgraded by PowerBook 12" to 10.3 (Panther) from 10.2 (Jaguar). Prior to the upgrade, backing up to Retrospect 6.5.336 on Win2K worked great. Since the upgrade, however, I've had constant networking problems and can rarely make it through a backup successfully.

If I try to backup via Ethernet (there's a simple 10/100 hub between the two computers), the backups will quit at some random point with an error -519. If I try to backup via AirPort Extreme, the backup will usually complete, but at some random point the backup speed will drop to nearly nothing (0.0 MB/min, according to the Activity Monitor) for the rest of the backup. I should add that I can backup a Win2K laptop over the same Ethernet network without a problem, too. I think this indicates that its not a networking issue, so what could some other causes be?

The load on both machines is minimal during the backup when it has slowed (0.3 on the Mac client, about 25% on the dual CPU Win2K backup server). Both machines are fully up to date on their OS patches. The Win2K backup server has 640 MB of RAM, and only shows about 460 MB used.

So where do I look next for troubleshooting?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very interesting! Thanks for the pointer. I'll give it a try and post the results, although I don't like idea that I have to throttle the network since it'll have a pretty big impact on my backup window.

Also, 10.3.3 was just posted yesterday, so that might help a bit, too.

Yep, that did the trick! Forcing my Rev. A 12" PowerBook to use 10 Mb/s allowed me to get a complete backup without any errors or slowdown.

Right after the backup I upgraded from 10.3.2 to 10.3.3, and the following night's incremental backup went without a hitch, too. I'll have to wait until the start of next month (when I do a new full backup) before I can confirm that 10.3.3 doesn't suffer from this problem, though.

Archived