Multiplying Members of Backup Sets

Allstreets10

Last night Retrospect 6.5 did not perform the scheduled incremental backup.

Instead it asked for a blank tape, which Retrospect would then name "3-Thursday A."

Problem is, there is no "3-Thursday A." Nor even a "2-Thursday A"--though Retrospect does list two tapes (1 and 2) as members of the "Thursday A" backup set. (Did I say there is only *one* tape?)

I think I need to redefine the membership of the backup set. How can I do that? Should I trash the catalog for Thursday and have it rebuild from the tape? Should I erase the tape?

What I want is for Retrospect to execute its scripts--which include periodic recycle backups so the tape does not get too full--on a single tape for Thursday.

Any advice very much appreciated, thanks!

Hi

Manually erasing tapes will cause the problems you are having now. I imagine the first tape got full so Retrospect asked for another one. At that point the user chose to erase the first tape and use it as the second tape in the set. This is bad because everything on the first tape (i.e. the first half of the backup) is now erased and your restores will be incomplete.

You may be simply running out of room on the tape. In those cases it is best to perform a recycle backup so that Retrospect always starts its backups on the first tape. Same goes for when the tape gets full, recycle the set rather than erasing the tape.

Nate

Thanks, Nate. I've posted questions to this list exactly three times--you've answered each of them.

I think you are right--my problems began by erasing the tape. But, I erased the tape because the recycle backup wouldn't run, not because the tape was full. I'm not sure why it is asking for a new tape now, since (I think) the tape is mostly blank.

With your previous advice I think I've solved the problem of the recycle backup not running. Now I just want to get things back to normal--to have Retrospect recognize that there is only one Thursday tape, and to recognize that tape when I put it in the drive.

Are you suggesting that running a recycle backup will resolve that? (Great!) If so, is there an easy way to tell Retrospect to run the recycle backup out of schedule?

Thanks!

Archived