6.5 install woes and win2000 crash

BrettB

Hello, I have just installed the 6.5 retrospect from your website and all went well until it rebooted the machine (win2000pro) and at that point I can not restart windows except in Safe Mode. I keep getting the Cyan blue Screen stating that there is an "Unexpected Kernel Trap" and it repeats the same way. No kidding. I can't even uninstall retrospect because in safe mode the install uninstall in the control panel will not work. So I am stuck in this loop!

Any help to reclaim where I was would be much appreciated.

Hi

If you can get to it in safe mode disable the Retrospect laucher service from the services controll panel. Other than that there isn't a whole lot that Retrospect installs on the system that would interfere with startup.

Try starting with a minimum of devices attached to the machine.

Did you install ASPI on the system? you might want to try deleting the ASPI files.

Nate

Hi

I would guess that something else on the system is conflicting with the install of that service. You could try to set all other 3rd party or non essential services to manual and see if it starts up properly. At that point take a look and see if the launcher service was ever installed.

Also look for other possible conflicts with startup programs. I have never seen Retrospect do this on install so chances are there are other factors involved.

Nate

It's hard to tell whether or not the problem I encountered this week is similar. I'll toss it out here for commentary and suggestions.

I have a Windows 2000 machine that I did have Retrospect 6.5.336 server installed. I decided to turn it into a client and made a faster machine the server. The uninstall went fine as did the client installation. I use Norton SystemWorks and VCOM Fix-It Utilities to clean up the system. The client started fine; I could open it and see the tabs and options under each.

The server could not initially see the client; after I rebooted the client, communication was established when I created the backup job. I started the backup, the client system crashed, (BSOD) and has not booted since then (Tuesday, 2/17).

The two systems are on a KVM switch; therefore, I was not able to watch the server start the backup and see what exactly happened on the client system. The client is set to do a small memory dump and restart. I finally got it to pause at the right millisecond, and saw ...

========================================

STOP: C0000218 { registry file failure }

The registry cannot load the hive (file):

\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE

or its log or alternate.

It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

Beginning dump of physical memory

Physical memory dump complete. Contact your system administrator or

technical support group.

========================================

I tried starting in ALL variations of Safe Mode -- no luck.

Could not start in Debugging Mode.

So far, could only start with the Recovery Console.

The system is sitting at the command prompt while I explore recovery methods. Fortunately, I have enough systems that I am not dependent on this one. I upgraded the hard drive around new years day and saved the old one as a fallback. I could easily repeat the PowerQuest Drive Copy procedure, but I want to explore other possibilities first.

Any suggestions?

{as the Rolling Stones come on DirecTV with "Start Me UP" ... you make a grown man cry!!!}

Thank you,

Wayne Scott

According to what I found on a google search, this seems to be an issue with Norton AntiVirus.

This link refers to issues with the program 3ds max but the main culprit appears to be Norton.

http://www.discreet.com/support/max/faq/answer.php3?prod=dddstudio&id=868

I would also recommend disconnecting any network connections when booting up.

Quoted from the above site:

===========================================================

Problem:

The system is running Norton AntiVirus (NAV) version 2002. To confirm this is the problem, turn off the "Auto Protect" feature in NAV 2002 by right-clicking on the "NAV 2002" icon in the system tray near the clock.

According to Symantec, this is the result of a Stack Overflow in Windows caused by the NAV 2002 drivers.

Solution:

Symantec has issued a LiveUpdate to address this issue. If you are experiencing this problem and you are running NAV 2002, please run the Norton LiveUpdate and download all available updates. Note that you may need to run the LiveUpdate multiple times in order to bring your copy of NAV 2002 up to the current version.

=========================================================

Quote:

natew said:

Did you install ASPI on the system? you might want to try deleting the ASPI files.

Nate

Nate,

This post is not exactly on topic for this thread but I was interested in your comment re: ASPI files. I am interested in purchasing Retrospect Pro but I am already using a program (Archive Creator) to burn digital photo files to CD or DVD. That program requires the presence of the latest (ver 4.7) ASPI files. Is that a possible conflict with Retrospect Pro? My OS is Windows 2000 Pro SP4. Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the hints; it triggers other ideas as well.

My system is running NAV 2004 and has the latest updates. However, as I reflected on what was happening before the crash, the server side could not start the backup because apparently some application had the drive (or part of it) locked. What could be locking it?

I was using several backup methods. Recently, I upgraded PowerQuest Drive Image 2002 to Drive Image 7 with V2i Protector. They have services that start with Windows so they can do scheduled backups. I think V2i set attributes so that certain components are not accessible to other applications yet. I got into the recovery console and could poke around to look at files.

The "SOFTWARE" part of the registry is indeed there under WINNT\System32..., along with backups of it. Now I am disabling services and setting attributes -- comparing to other Windows 2000 configurations on the LAN. I really don't think anything is corrupted; I think it is purely a permissions problem or services conflict.

Will report back when I figure it out.

Wayne Scott

Hi John,

You can tell Retrospect to ignore ASPI by typing the key sequence CTRL + ALT +P +P in any Retrospect window. Under execution select "Use NT SCSI passtrhough" This works even if your device is not SCSI.

You may not even have to do this. Retrospect usually uses ASPI just fine.

Nate

Hi

One other thought, Try deleting the Retrospect open file module roff.sys. That is the only other thing that Retrospect will load at startup. If your hard disk controller uses a file called evian.sys there can be trouble... Promise has since retired that file.

Roff.sys is located at wnnt\system32\drivers

Nate

• 1 month later...

I just installed Norton AntiVirus 2004 Professional and then Retrospect 6.5 Professional on Windows 2000 Professional. All these bl***y "Professional" products - it only means "does it for money" after all. "Amateurs" do it for love. Anyway on rebooting my PC I got the Unexpected Kernel Trap. The 'fix' was to go into Safe Mode and there disable Norton Auto-Protect (ie switch Norton off). Norton was running when I installed Retrospect which was perhaps not a good idea but there are no warnings in the Retrospect install. So I have the computer back ... what to do next I am not sure

Peter

Hi,

There isn't anything in Retrospect that is going to fight with Norton Anti virus. Retrospect is inactive for the most part on boot. Does uninstalling Retrospect and re-enabling Norton auto protect resolve the problem? How about a reinstall of Norton?

Thanks

Nate

Hi Folks:

My worst nightmares during the past few months have occurred while upgrading Symantec products to the 2004 versions -- whether it was just Norton Anti-Virus or SystemWorks. Some on Windows 2000, some on Windows 98 SE. It has been a real time sink.

On my best system with most capacity -- 2.4 GHz P4, 1GB RAM, lotsa HD -- the system suddenly quit booting. It turned out that it was soon after an automatic update of virus definitions. I happened to be reading something that suggested looking for .tmp files. After getting into safe mode, I looked for *.tmp files. What I found was that more than 69,000 files had accumulated in the folders where NAV does the updates and carries them forward to a new folder.

The reason the files were not getting cleaned up was that the permissions on the folders had somehow changed and were read-only. I can go back to my notes and be even more specific if anyone wants more data.

Ultimately, I changed permissions and deleted folders.

At this point, I feel like I could work in Symantec Technical Support. However, I do not feel like moving to India.

Wayne Scott

Archived