Maximum number of Snapshots has been reached?

awnews

Can someone please explain this error to me and what I'm supposed to do with it (and how to fix it). "Maximum number of Snapshots" where?--what's the max number in a backup set (has to be recycled more often)?, "open" at the same time (only one backup running in RP)?

This happened with a File backup to a second harddrive (Drive V (V:), a NTFS 120GB with 48GB free) on the same XP SP1 system (2.4GHz uP, 1G RAM).

+ Retrospect version 6.5.336

Launched at 2/17/2004 2:39 AM

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 4.7.103

+ Duplicate using CadenceLibs_Monday at 2/17/2004 2:39 AM

VssWAddVolToSnapshot: AddToSnapshotSet failed for volume \\?\Volume{28e1fcae-918f-11d7-9467-806d6172696f}\, winerr -2147212521, error -3043

Can't use Open File Backup option for CadencePSD14libs on Drive V (V:), error -3043 (the maximum number of Snapshots has been reached)

You're right, this is a Dup not a File backup, so Retro "Snapshots" aren't in play. The optional OFB option isn't on (no license on this PC) but it's using the Volume Shadow Copy feature under XP. Is there even a way to turn VSC "off" (not that I want to...).

I will be rebooting the PC later in the day (can't do it now since it's serving up too many files and functions so doing so would be disruptive). RP managed to do the next day's "CadenceLibs_Tuesday" (one per day of the week) Dup without reporting this error.

Thanks for stating the File snapshot limit (e.g. 500). I think I Recycle most sets before hitting that limit, but it's worth keeping tabs on. And could you clarify what you mean by "sessions."

Thanks,

GoAWest

Ahhh, yes. Open File backup will generate a maximum number of snapshots error if we try to generate a snapshot for a volume that has a snapshot currently saved in memory. This can happen in one of two ways:

1. If a local Retrospect execution attempts to begin while a client execution is being performed on that machine (or vice versa)

2. Retrospect crashed during execution and the snapshot form that execution still exists (the system will dispose of any snapshots itself after 15 minutes of inactivity)

It could also be that we are running into a conflict with another program that is uses the same snapshot creation tools we do, but we haven't heard of any cases of that occurring.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived