Disk-To-Disk

angus

Can you either just make the USB bootable by installing an OS on it *or* by (one-time event) mirroring the main IDE to the USB using Ghost/Drive Image (seems like something of a waste based on space? Maybe partition it first)? Then use the remaining space or other partiton(s) as a destination for Retrospect backups.

As far as I know, I don't believe that you can boot from a USB device. It's a kind of "chicken and the egg" scenario. The drivers must load *before* the device can be used. But the device must be used to access the drivers, so you can't boot from it...This does not seem to be the case with Firewire (IEEE 1394).

Hope this helps...

Quote:

emulator said:

As far as I know, I don't believe that you can boot from a USB device. It's a kind of "chicken and the egg" scenario. The drivers must load *before* the device can be used. But the device must be used to access the drivers, so you can't boot from it...This does not seem to be the case with Firewire (IEEE 1394).

I agree, but I was just going by what was posted:

> USB ( backup ) hard drive as a bootable (hardware supports it !!!!!)

so I assumed he had a way to do it.

My "workaround" ("bootable" USB drive) is to use an IDE drive (OS configed/installed and bootable) installed in a USB enclosure. So booting from it, in an emergency restore situation, does require that it be removed from the USB enclosure and booted as an IDE.

Archived