new (out of the blue) 206 errors

mmoncino

I have Retrospect for windows, v 6.5.319.

I have used retrospect for now 2-3 years. I back up to a DVD drive – the same drive for about 12 months when the PC was new. No problems.

Recently I had some problems when I installed Sonic’s MY DVD – retrospect would write to the DVD but would not “release” the DVD when a new DVD was required. That problem has been resolved now for a month or so after uninstalling t Sonic’s My DVD, updating Retrospect to v 6.5 and the real fix was deleting my configuration and reconfiguring the DVD drive.

So no problems for a month. No new software. No virus. No new hardware.

About 7- 10 days, ago…..I started getting 206 errors – -206 (drive reported a failure, dirty heads, bad media, etc.).

No other problems with my DVD RW – it writes and reads DVD’s and CD’s. The same batch of media I have been using of 2-4 months.

The ONLY problems is with using retrospect backing up to a DVD.

I have dleted the script and used a new one – no change

I have erased (using retrospect) an “old” DVD that was used suuceesfully – same problem.

I have reinstalled the v 6.5 updatre—same problem

I checked for a adaptec DVD driver update – installed and same problem

I delted my DVd configuraiton and reconfigeured the DVD drive – same problem

Agina, I have no problems reading or writing DVD’s or CD’s – just retropect writng to a DVD. It writes until I am guessing about halfway through the DVD and thent he eroro message pops up.

Thoughts?

mark

Hi

It is possible that the install of some other DVD program also installed ASPI which changed the way Retrospect is talking to your drive. Try turning off ASPI by typing CTRL + ALT + P + P in Retrospect. Then check the use NT SCSI passthrough box under the execution heading. Restart Retrospect and try the backup again.

ASPI could also be corrupt. Run the ASPICHK.exe utility in the Retrospect folder and make sure all the files are version 4.6 or above.

Did you do any kinds of updates at all to this system?

Thanks

Nate

I run WIN XP Pro. Ihave had no new software or hardware installs (and no Win XP or IE updates as I do those manually) in the last 2-3 months. The only updates would be Norton (antivirus and internet security and likely an adobe acrobat update).

I ran ASPICHK.exe utility and the data is:

LOG0166: *****************************************************************

LOG0167: Starting ASPICHK installer on Thu Mar 19 06:10:35 2004

ASPICHK0492: OS = Windows NT (5.01.2600)

ASPICHK0499: Platform = INTEL

UPGRADE0585: File c:\windows\system32\wnaspi32.dll does not exist

UPGRADE0423: No existing file to compare, upgrade/operation recommended

UPGRADE0585: File c:\windows\system\winaspi.dll does not exist

UPGRADE0585: File c:\windows\system32\drivers\aspi32.sys does not exist

UPGRADE0585: File c:\windows\system\wowpost.exe does not exist

ASPICHK0579: Inconsistent version numbers among components

ASPICHK0649: ASPI installation has problems

LOG0249: Closing installer log on Thu Mar 19 06:10:35 2004

LOG0250: *****************************************************************

I "repaired" the retrospect install and reran the ASPICHK.exe utility and it was the same (I erroneously assumed that the "repair" would fix this)

Do I need to uninstall or do I need to modify the registry setting as the Article ID: 26670 seems to suggest for Win XP??????

mark

Try running ASPIINST.exe from the Dantz/Retrospect folder to install ASPI. The ASPI layer is not typically required in WinXP or Win2K, and is not installed automatically.

Better yet, go to www.adaptec.com and get the latest ASPI installer direct from the vendor. The Dantz folder contains the installer for 4.60, and last time I checked Adaptec had released 4.70.

Archived