I could use some help, please

frednow

I posted this in the Mac OS 9 forum because that's what I'm using, but no one seems to be home there. It occurred to me that my questions might be general enough for users of other platforms/OS to answer.

---------------------------

I've been using Retrospect Express 5.0.238 on a Mac G4/733 running OS 9.2, backing up to internal CD-R, for a couple of years now and I sure could use some help.

Lately, it seems like the interval between needing to start a new CD-R is shrinking. I use to go about 2 or 3 weeks before a CD-R would fill up, but now it's down to as little as 2 days, and it's not that the amount of new/changed data has increased. Why is this happening?

Two related questions to this are:

1. I started backing up about two years ago, and named my backup set "First Backup Set A." I am now up to my 58th CD-R in this set. Is this OK? Or should I start a new set, and if so, how? Do I start all over again with a complete backup? Also, is this causing the problem of shrinking interval between needing a new CD-R (see above)?

2. Am I wasting CD-R space by using 700 MB discs instead of 650 MB discs?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Hi

You can check the session contents of your backup set to see how much you have actually been backing up in each session.

I like to keep my CD backups to 30 CDs or less as rebuilding the catalog can be really time consuming from a big set. To start a new set do a "new media" backukp.

Retrospect should right until the disk is physically full regardless of which media you use.

Nate

Quote:

natew said:

You can check the session contents of your backup set to see how much you have actually been backing up in each session.

Nate, thanks so much for your reply.

Please forgive a dumb question, but how/where do I check the session contents of my backup set? Is there a log file?

Thanks again.

Nate,

Thanks again for the reply.

We may have hit a brick wall here because I'm using Express for Mac, and there doesn't seem to be an option called "properties." Unless it's named something else in the Mac version, but I poked around and couldn't find a likely suspect. All I found was a list of each CD (under a tab labeled "members") in the backup set, its capacity (658.8mb on a 700mb disc), and the last date of its use. But no listing of the size of each backup session.

I suppose one thing I could do is start a new backup set and then see what the interval between new discs is.

Archived