Using Retrospect with USB2Xchange adapter

arnstein

I have been using Retrospect 6.5 (latest update) for Windows. I am using Windows XP now. I'm trying something new: I connect an Adaptec USB2Xchange to a USB2.0 port on my computer. The USB2Xchange plugs into my Ecrix VXA-1 SCSI2 tape drive. According to Windws Device Manager, all this hardware is properly installed and working.

The USB2Xchange is simply an adapter that has a SCSI2 connector on one end and a USB2.0 connector on the other end.

In Retrospect, I open the menu item "Configure/Devices." It sees my disk drives and my CDRW drive. But it does not recognize any tape drives.

Can I induce Retrospect to recognize and use my VXA-1 tape drive when it is connected to the USB2Xchange adapter?

Hi

In general adapters like yours are going to cause problems in Retrospect so we don't support them. From what I understand there are some SCSI commands that get lost in the translation so the device is not properly recognized or doesn't run.

You could try toggling NT passthrough and ASPI in Retrospects hidden preferences (ctrl +ALT + P + P) but beyond that there isnt much you can do.

Sorry

nate

Quote:

natew said:

In general adapters like yours are going to cause problems in Retrospect so we don't support them.

nate

OK, I don't want problems with my backups so the adapter is out.

Can you recommend a regular SCSI2 host adapter that works well with Retrospect under Windows XP yet is not too expensive? I've got my eye on the Adaptec 2930 Ultra.

Thanks for your help.

Hi

On the Windows side of things we don't see too many SCSI adapter problems. The best thing to do is make sure the adapter pinout matches your drive exactly. Your best bet is to ask the drive manufacturer. I suspect the Adaptec card will work jusf fine.

Nate

Archived