Multi week backups

I am trying to better utilize my 66GB Exabyte tapes by having the one member of my 2 backup sets more fully utilized before switching to the other backup set. However, I have been unable to figure out how to configure a set to run M-F for more than one week or less than a month (e.g. run for two weeks) and then do the same with another backup set/tape using version 4.1 on a 9.x Mac. Is this possible?

Because I couldn't figure this out I decided instead to have the two backup sets (A and B) rotate every other week doing Normal backups with a Recycle backup occurring on every third Monday that a set was scheduled to run. However, the problem is that Retrospect wants a new member for the 2nd alternate week of a backup set's run (before it is Recycled again) although the member is far from full. If I look at the preview or check the media function it says it is unavailable because it is looking for 2-A (or B) instead of the 1-A (or B). I am only using one member in each backup set. Any thoughts? How do I tell it that they is capacity to do a backup on a member when only 20+ GB out of 60+ have been used up, but the app is looking for another member anyway.

Thanks.

If Retrospect is asking for another member, either the tape is full, there was a media error that prevented Retrospect from continuing to write to that tape, or the tape was marked as missing.

Retrospect will continue writing to a tape until it is full, regardless of the estimated capacity. Go to Configure: Backup Sets and see how much data is on that tape. Don't be surprised if the actual capacity is less than the advertised capacity of your tapes. For all the factors that can affect tape capacity, search for "capacity" in the Knowledgebase.

You should also check your logs to see if there were any device errors reported. If there was a problem with the tape or with the drive, it may have caused Retrospect to request that another tape be used before filling the first tape.

In addition, check that the tape has not been set missing from Configure: Backup Sets. Select your backup set, and then check the members tab to see if the tape was set missing. If so, you may set it to found here.

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

You were correct, there was an error 100 (drive refused command) that occurred during the backup session with the tape in question. I am working with Exabyte to see what hardware problems there may be, but in the meantime I still need to use the one (and only) member of each of my two backup sets - and I can't because Retro wants/expects a 2nd member.

How do I get it to look for member one again. This is preventing me from doing any backups at all. Thanks.

Try recreating the catalog for that tape, and then continuing with the backup. If there really is a problem with the tape, though, it's possible that you won't be able to append data to it.

If the recatalog fails, you can also try starting from scratch with the tape by doing a Recycle backup. This will erase all the data that was on your tape previously.

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

Archived