v.6.0 weird window problem with service quitting

paul_bruneau

I have a user I have set up with Retrospect 6.0. he is running XP Home. When he comes in in the morning after a backup was to run, he finds all his retrospect windows have invisible parts (like anywhere that text should be).

The rest of his OS seems OK.

I am able to quit the program by blindly clicking where I think the "X" is, then pressing Enter a couple of times.

Then I can restart Restrospect, and it seems to run OK, but when I quit, I get a warning that the autorun service is not running, so then I have to go start it manually or restart his machine. This behavior is very repeatable (like always).

#1: why is this happening?

#2: why didn't Dantz put a helpful "start autorun service now" button on their not-so-helpful dialog telling me that the service isn't running???

thanks,

Paul

PS: I'll happily provide more information if anyone needs it.

Thanks for the response. Yes, I had manually configured the launcher service in order for it to log on with the proper permissions.

Do you mean he has to reboot his computer just one time to fix this, or he will have to reboot it as a band-aid possibly many times as this problem pops up?

And if it was fixed in 6.5, then why wasn't it fixed in 6.0? I just bought the darn thing a few months ago. They are putting out paid upgrades (with bugs) faster than I can write checks.

Hi

What computer are you logging into? I believe Retrospect 6.0 professional includes 2 client licenses. If you use the client you will not need to manually set the log in information.

My understanding of this problem is that Retrospect actlaunches and the script runs but the permissions settings in the launcher service prevent the GUI from displaying properly. One way around this is to set Retrospect to quit after the script completes.

6.5 recieved a _major_ overhaul in the way Retrospect authenticates itself to run. I suspect there was simply too much work involved to make it available as a patch to 6.0.

You mentioned you purchased this a couple of months ago? 6.5 has been out since last Summer. How did you recently get a copy of 6.0?

Thanks

Nate

Well thanks to obscure marketing reasoning, I am unable to use the client because the machine I want to backup is...oh my god...a SERVER!!!!! Woe is me, to have the audacity to want to back up a...SERVER!!!

So that is why I have to do a login to back it up.

I didn't say a couple months ago, I said a few months ago, and I don't know exactly how long ago it was. The only thing i do know is that it has never worked right.

You'll have to forgive me, because I come from the Mac side, where I have been using Retrospect for like 12 years. Over there in Mac land, you don't have to deal with all this nonsense about what is a server machine and obscure limitations that make the GUI not appear. It just works. At least it did work until OSX, which made Retrospect work a lot less than it once did.

Thanks for the tip about making Retrospect quit after the script. I am getting very very used to implementing seemingly dozens of workarounds to make Retrospect have 1/2 a chance to back things up successfully, so I'll give it a shot.

Hi

Actually Retrospect for Macintosh also has the same version requirements when backing up clients that are running Server OSes. Dantz's CEO has addressed the reasoning for this on the Retrotalk mailing list. Archives are available if you are intersted...

Thanks

Nate

Yes, but does he have a reason for putting out version 6.0 that has this display problem that is apparently caused by a permissions problem that is a result of trying to back up a single folder that happens to be on a server--something that according to the documentation is something that should work?

My beef is that I paid for a full version that doesn't do what it should be doing and the only fix seems to be to buy another version where the problem may be fixed.

My beef about not being able to use the client to backup a folder that is on a server OS is secondary and I probably shouldn't have brought it up because it muddied the waters.

Hi

I can certainly understand your frustration. This isn't the resolution you are looking for but if you purchased Retrospect 6.0 within 30 days of the release of 6.5 you may be eligible for a free upgrade. Dantz Customer Service will need to see a receipt to provide it for you but it is worth a shot anyway

Nate

Thanks for the info. I'm sure it was over 30 days though.

I want to thank you for all your help as you have helped me understand what is going wrong with the display and you have verified for me that it was related to my setting of the launcher service login information.

I am still trying some combinations of the things that you suggested for me so I haven't given up hope of coming up with some kind of workaround.

PB

Archived