Retrospect Launcher takes sometimes 95% of my ressources!!

pingo

Retrospect Prof. 6.5.336, Windows 2000, Service Pack 4

I have planned several backups with scripts. If the computer is not running at the planned starting time of a script I have following problem next time I start up my computer:

After booting the computer retrorun.exe (Retrospect Launcher) is NOT starting automatically the waiting backup, but blocks my computer. In the task manager of windows 2000 I can see that it takes 95% of my cpu-time without doing anything valuable.

If I start then manually Retospect it finally starts automatically the waiting backup script,...

After this I need to reboot the computer and only then my system is again running normal (retrorun.exe takes only 1% of my cpu-time)

Why is Retrospect Launcher not starting the passed backup after booting my pc automatically?

Why it takes all my resources?

Who knows help?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to answer so late. This forum is missing an automatic note-system if an answer is posted. :-)

Quote:

Have you made any adjustments to the "run retrospect as" preference?

Sorry I don't find exactly this preference (I have the german version).

I have selected 1 retrospect at a time

planning view 2 hours

activate retrospect launcher

start retrospect automatically

finish retrospect if started automatically

Do you mean this?

Quote:

What else is running on the machine when Retrospect is scheduled to launch? Any virus scans or pop up blocking?

Norton Antivirus 10.0.0.109 (but I diabled autoprotect to check if there is any chang in the system behaviour. There was no change!)

pop up blocking (webwasher 3.3 + clickOff 1.63)

Firewall Tiny Personal Firewall 4.0.2.85 (but retrorun.exe is noted as "unrestricted application")

What I don't understand is the different behaviour of retrorun.exe:

running normal in the background and performing from time to time the planned backups

AND blocking my pc only because a backup was "missed" because of my pc not running at the planned time.

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:

Hi

Look under the security heading in the preferences menu. You can configure Retrospect to run as a user on your machine. Try it with the local machine administrator and see if that helps.@@You may also want to try it with your own login information.

Nate

Sorry no help. I'm always logged in as administrator.

No I have no solution. I think this is a bug of the program. Hopefully they find a solution one day.

Thanks I contacted already your support center in Europe, but they want to charge me 69€ (= 89$) if they talk with me about this bug. I don't pay for reporting bugs. Bad policy of your company. Therefore I used this forum. Hopefully they read it and work on the problem.

Archived