Mac OS 10.3 client gives error 540 after scanning 12k files

Winpple

We are using Win2000 server with Retrospect 6.0.206 and are backing up Mac OS X pcs and everything was working well. Recently all the Macs were upgraded to OS 10.3, and one of them now cannot back up one of its (regular internal) drives.

What happens is that it will scan the first 12,000 files correctly, then stop with the error "Scanning incomplete, error -540 (trouble creating service)".

I installed the latest retrospect client for the Mac, the one that came out on 1-28-04. I've restarted it, made sure no apps were open, and it still gave the same error at the same place.

Anyone else having this issue or have any ideas?

Thanks,

John

p.s. Am I the only one who finds all the freaking out smiley faces distracting when writing a post?

Thanks for the tip Nate, I will install the 5.1.109 client again and post the results (other backups are more urgent so far this week).

What's interesting is that a version 5 client was installed before and was working fine, then right after the Panther OS 10.3 upgrade the problem began.

Basically it will backup all drives except one. And the one drive it won't backup, it will scan the first 12k files then give this error: "Scanning incomplete, error -540 (trouble creating service)".

So I'm thinking that maybe there is a corrupted file on the Mac that is causing Retrospect to exit out, anyone know where to find out what file Retrospect is scanning when it gives an error? Or any other ideas?

Thanks,

John

Hi

This is not specific to Retrospect or network issues but I have heard from at least one person that upgrading from Jaguar to Panther didn't work very well. Once they ran a clean install everything was fine.

That is a last resort but you may want to keep an eye out for other strange behavior on the machine.

nate

I found out the problem. I had to run Diskwarrior and it found and fixed lots of small problems with that one drive.

And I installed the latest 5.1 client. Now it can backup all drives successfully.

thanks Nate for posting suggestions! You deserve the four stars next to your name...

John

• 1 month later...

I am having the same problem, but I ran TechTool and it didn't find anything to correct. I am running the 5.1.06 client on the Mac OS 10.3 Dual PowerMac G5 machine and it stops scanning around the 36K size.

What explicitly did Diskwarrior correct that I might look into?

Thanks

Steve

Archived