Backing Up to CD-R and backupset gets corrupted

regniers

Does anyone know why this is happening? I have Retrospect 6.0 Pro on a Windows XP Pro system. I am backing up using a Samsung CD-ROM with CD-R media. Every night when I try to run the backup script, I have the previous week's CD-R in the drive and Retrospect tells me that the media is missing, and to choose "Missing" or "Skip". Eventually, it tells me to insert a new CD-R and continues the script. I now have multiple members for every day, and most have a status of missing. To get around this, I started rebuilding my catalog file with the previous week's CD-R. This allows the script to run without error, but I shouldn't have to rebuild the catalog every night. Can anyone tell me why my backup sets or catalog keep getting corrupt and how to prevent this from happening?

Hi

How many backup sets are you using? What is the exact name of the disk you inserted and the exact name of the disk Retrospect is asking for in the media request window?

This kind of thing usually happens because the media rotation does not quite match with the script settings. There are some other possiblities but we should look at your scripts and backup sets first.

Nate

I have 7 backup sets, one for every day of the week. I never use Sunday though. The media names are something like Saturday 1 or Saturday 3... I am up to Saturday 11, and that is what the current CD-R is named. The multiple numbers exist for every day of the week (except for Sunday). The CD-R that Retrospect is asking for seems to be the exact name of the CD-R that I have in the drive. When I Repair my Catalog, I am using the CD-R that Retrospect did not like while the script was running. Also, after the repair, I have to edit my script because my newly repaired catalog/backup set is not in the list of Destinations. After re-adding the backup set to my script it will run without any errors.

Hmmmmmm,

If you cancel the script and run an immediate backup to that set will it use the member that is in the drive? Can you do any backups to this set without rebuildng the catalog? What other CD writing programs do you have installed? They may be preventing the disk from being properly recognized. On the configure->devices->environment window in Retrospect does it say ASPI or NT passthrough?

Thgbanks

Nate

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the answers to your questions:

If you cancel the script and run an immediate backup to that set will it use the member that is in the drive? YES

Can you do any backups to this set without rebuildng the catalog? NO

What other CD writing programs do you have installed? Easy CD Creator 5

On the configure->devices->environment window in Retrospect does it say ASPI or NT passthrough? NT passthrough

Hi

So to clarify, If you run an immediate backup you can do a backup without rebuilding the catalog? Does it make any difference if you put in the media _after_ Retrospect asks for it?

What is the specific model number and firmware version of your drive as listed in the Environment window?

How exactly is Retrospect naming your disks? "2-Saturday" or "1-Saturday-[002]"

Try installing ASPI with the ASPIINST.exe program found in the Retrospect program folder.

Thanks

Nate

Archived