restore question

Murphie

I hope this isn't too stupid of a question. I'm using Retrespect Pro 6.5. Backing up a small workgroup, I just back up the needed items--documents, etc, instead of the entire drive. There are several subvolumes/snapshots for each machine. I recently did a clean reinstall of one of the computers, and when I tried to restore from the backup, RP said it couldn't connect to the client. I looked in the manual and it said to forget the client and then add it back. But when I forget it, the program wants to also forget all the snapshots. If I do that, will they still be there to restore? I apologize if this is obvious somehow (but not to me!)

Thank you!

Murphie

Hi

Forgetting the client will not forget all of the snapshots. In fact you can restore any snapshot to any other client (with some minor exceptions of course) Snapshots are stored in your backup data - you are safe forgetting the client and adding in a new one.

I imagine Retrospect is complaining because the client you are trying to forget is still included in your backup _scripts_ . No problem there - just add the new client to your scripts when you are done logging in the client again.

Nate

Archived