Retrospect Single Server 6.0: very slow responding to mouse input

kbarger

Until earlier this week I was running Retrospect Single Server 6.0 on a Pentium III 750MHz with 512MB RAM, and Windows 2000 Server SP4. I have removed it from that machine and put it on a Pentium 4 2.4GHz with 1GB RAM and Windows 2000 Server SP4. Although there were no performance problems on the old machine, on the new one interactions with the program are VERY slow. You will often click on a tab in one of the dialog boxes, or press a button, and it will just sit there for as long as 15-20 seconds, doing nothing. Eventually it will come back.

Having said that, once an actual backup operation starts, the speed appears to be normal. It seems to be just mouse interaction.

This behavior is not exhibited in any other area except with Retrospect.

The only other application installed on the computer is an Sybase Adaptive SQL-based database. However, I've duplicated the Retrospect behavior with all users disconnected and the database service stopped. During the times Retrospect is sitting there doing nothing, the Windows Task Manager will show 0 CPU utilization, with 99% on the System Idle Process and all other processes at 0.

Any suggestions??

Archived