HP DVD-300i takes long pauses during backup

Trying to get an HP DVD-300i to do backups to DVD+R and DVD+RW media. Dantz shows this as a supported drive. I am running Retrospect Windows 6.5.336 with driver update 4.7.103.

Attempts to backup to DVD+RW fail completely: media is not recognized, even when freshly fully-erased by Nero 6. (Of course, I stop Nero before starting Retrospect.)

Attempts to backup to new DVD+R media work, but something is pausing for roughly 2 minutes every minute of backup. No DVD activity light. No CPU activity. Computer behaves normally othewise; other applications can run. Net performance backing up several hundred MB to DVD+R is 34 MB/min, rawther slow. Compare was successful at 216 MB/min, a big improvement.

Any suggestions on either problem?

I did update the HP DVD-300i to latest firmware today.

Thanks =John=

System is Windows 2000 Professional.

ASUS Tek P4G8X Deluxe motherboard.

HP DVD-300i directly attached to motherboard IDE/ATAPI controller as Master; no slave.

Boot disk directly attached to motherboard IDE/ATAPI controller as (other) Master; no slave.

All other disks connected to PCI RAID controller (3ware 7500-12)

ASPI 4.60 installed.

NT Passthrough disabled.

Thanks!

=John=

Hi

If this is an intel hard disk controller try updating or uninstalling the Intel application accelerator Application - it caused problems with my CD drive at least.

You may want to try another disk too. I would try TDK or Taiyo Yuden if you can get it.

Thanks

Nate

Well, it turns out that using NT Passthru was what I needed. Thinking about it, I think I had turned this on a long time ago to get another drive working, and perhaps when I upgraded from 6.0 to 6.5, it got turned off. Now the HP DVD-300i burns large amounts without pausing, and works correctly on both DVD+R and DVD+RW media.

Wish I had tried this earlier. doh.gif

Archived