I don't Understand this Software.... I'm Lost

wingspar

I just purchases a Maxtor external 120gb hard drive. The Dantz Express software came with it. I was able to finally figure out how to create a backup of one of my hard drives. It wasn’t too hard, wasn’t easy either. I did that to see how that went, and it backed everything up nicely.

Now, that I’ve tested things to see how they work, I want to add more folders to back up, but I can not for the life of me figure out how to do that. What I ended up doing was backing up another folder of about 300 mb in size, but lost the previous backup folder of 5.2gb. Actually, later on I found it buried deep inside one of the sub folders of my second backup.

My situation is this. I have two hard drives.

C:\ I want to back up two folders and all their subdirectories and files. Total of 7.1 GB

F:\ I want to back up the entire drive. Total of 5.9 GB

I want all folders to be structured just like they are on my internal hard drives, not randomly as the Dantz software did.

How can I accomplish this? I have gone thru the manual, and the online tutorial, but remain totally frustrated.

I'm new to this software too...

A "Duplicate" (as opposed to a "Backup") is handy because you will see your exact File/Folder structure as it appears in Windows (native format)....

BUT you have to be careful, because the duplicate wipes out the previous contents of the Maxtor Drive...in other words if you dont realize you deleted something from your Hard Drive and then do a Duplicate it will also be gone from the Maxtor drive, even if it was previously there. There are ways around it though...possibly creating folders on Maxtor drive first and doing duplicates to the folder might be safer

I think Duplicate is what I tried, but Retrospect buried the folder and sub folders deep inside folders that Retrospect created, and when I tried adding another folder, the first folder I backed up ended up deep inside a sub folder of the second attempt at a backup. For now, I am trying another software called Second Copy. Within 5 minutes of install I was backing up on the Maxtor drive, and the folder structure looked just like the folder structure in Windows. It is highly unlikely I will use Retrospect again as I tried for hours over 3 days to get it to work. No success.

Now, if I could set up the One Step button to work with Second Copy, that would be nice, but not necessary. Thanks for your reply.

Thanks. That looks like a better explanation than I’ve seen before. Makes it seem easy to follow, but I have successfully created my backup with another software package. Too bad, because I obviously had to pay for Retrospect that came with my Maxtor external hard drive, and found it way too confusing and user unfriendly, then I had to go purchase other software to be able to complete a backup, after deleting the mess Retrospect made out of my Maxtor.

Archived