Express does not recognized CD-RW drive

I'm using a Maxtor OneTouch external hard drive that came with Retrospect Express 5.6 for a Windows XP Professional operating system. I have no trouble with backing up to the drive, including automated backups. In order to maintain an off-site backup, though, I also tried to do an immediate backup to CD-Rs using a Dell generic CD-RW drive that came with the computer, and which works fine. The RetrospectExpress configure>status tab tells me "No backup devices found"; the configure>environment tab shows the CD-RW drive, but no driver is identified with it. I'm aware that that's supposed to mean that some other device has loaded an inappropriate driver, but if this is so I don't see how to cope with the problem. According to the Windows device manager, the CD-RW drive has seven drivers associated with it bearing a "sys" extension: three from Roxio, three from Microsoft, and one MusicMatch driver. I've tried removing each of these drivers in turn but it makes no difference. There's also a microsoft driver bearing a dll extension that I haven't fooled with.

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.

Hi

If this is a late model Dell chances are your device will not be recognized by Retrospect 5.6. You may want to try the 30 day trial version of Retrospect 6.5 to see if the device shows up. All Retrospect driver updates are available from the Dantz updates page.

Nate

• 2 weeks later...

I downloaded and unzipped RDU 3.1, which is the Retrospect 5.6 driver update. I copied the files over into my Retrospect directory, and clicking on LOG from the Retrospect window tells me that "Retrospect Driver Update, version 3.1.103" appears to have run. When I look at the Environment tab, however, there still is no driver listed. When I go to your storage device support screen I find that my CD-R/W drive manufacturer is unlisted. Does this mean that you do not have a driver for the particular drive I'm using?

Quote:

natew said:

Hi,

You can find the drive model and firmware version from the configure ->devices -> environment window in Retrospect. Retrospect Driver updates are available from our
page

Nate

Hi

That is most likely the case. If the device name shows up in the environment tab and there is no Driver it means that Retrospect 5.6 does not support the drive. You could try the trial version of Retrospect 6.5 to see if you have any better luck. It includes an autoconfiguration utility to use with CD/DVD drives we have not tested in house.

Thanks

Nate

Archived