client with no server uses 98% of CPU

paleolith

I had been backing up my laptop via Retrospect Professional running on a desktop. Both are v6.5 with Windows XP (XP Pro on the laptop, Home on the desktop). When I took the laptop on a trip -- and so it didn't have access to the server -- I started encountering times when the computer would slow to a glacial crawl. Didn't take too terribly long to figure out that at these times, Retrospect Client was using 98%-99% of the CPU (and obviously at high priority, locking out other programs). When I killed the Retrospect Client process, the problem went away. But it kept coming back after each reboot, so eventually I uninstalled it.

Note that this did NOT happen immediately after a reboot; in general it was many hours. Possibly it was a day or more; I haven't tried to keep a log. I was getting "not backed up messages", but I don't think they correlated with the client taking over the CPU.

I tried running the client after rebooting and turning it off (via the client's radio button), but this did NOT help. I would still get the CPU usurpation some time later (usually much later).

What is the client trying to do?

What could cause this?

Most importantly, is there any way to leave the client installed when I'm away from my home LAN for an extended period of time without suffering from this problem?

Edward Reid

Hi

Make sure you have the latest version of the client from the Dantz updates site. Can you post what version you are using now?

In the meantime I would go into the services control panel and change disable the client service. That will keep it from launching when you are out of the office.

Thanks

Nate

Archived