Remote clients stop working, retrospect "Test" works though...

mc55

I am using Retrospect 6.5 Pro for windows installed on one machine, along with a Seagate tape drive. I have 2 computers on the network (local LAN, no firewall or router) with the Retrospect client installed (ver 6.5.131). I have had many problems with connecting to the other remote computers. I have to stop/start the retrospect remote services often to get it to work.

What is really weird, in the retrospect main window, selecting "Confifure", "Clients", I select the remote host, click "Properties", and then "Refresh", the action results in a timeout, error -530. However, in the properties window, "Access" tab, and click "Change", and click "Test" button, when I type in the microsoft machine name (known to Retrospect), it returns successfully, with correct IP and version number of the remote retrospect client.

ANy ideas??? Really feels and acts like a software defect to me> Thoughts?

Hi

This normally happens when a firewall is blocking UDP packets on port 497. Are all firewalls disabled including the built in windowsXP firewall? How many network cards are on these machines? Does the error occur if you connect the machines directly with a crossover cable? Are all 3 machines in the same IP subnet?

Thanks

Nate

I tried all firewall suggestions and used the PortQry tool. PortQry reported that port 497 was listening. Nothing worked even with my firewalls disabled.

It turned out to be my workgroup switch causing the break in communications. I have two devices, a Linksys BEFSR41 and a Linksys EZXS88W workgroup switch. Basically I took the Retrospect 6.5 Pro backup server, any machines with the client installed, removed the Ethernet cables from the EZXS88W and plugged them into the BEFSR41 instead. Bingo - everything worked right away. I can see network clients now. As a further test I replaced the EZXS88W with a hub and Retrospect can still see the clients. Din not work with the EZXS88W in between the Retrospect server and it's clients.

Please understand that all devices always have worked on the EZXS88W (and still do). I did this shuffle just for the Retrospect software to work. I think this is a demonstration of poor software engineering when it will not run through a simple, unmanaged SOHO switch.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi,

Thanks for the response. Let me share some more info :

1. two of the three hosts (main host and one client) are XP pro, and the built in firewall is disabled. The other, a 2000 pro system, has no firewall.

2. I do run Symantec Internet security, but two things here. This s/w has a built in "trust the network" feature and I trust my "class C" network -- a NAT'ed network as seen behind a cable modem/router.

3. All systems are on the same network, i.e. same IP class and same subnetting.

4. I only get this to work by restarting al clients, no changes are made on the network. Symantec can be active.

Summary. I see another post on this thread regarding switches, pls read my reply to that post.

Hi,

Thanks for the response. Very interesting post. I do have multiple switches in my configuration, however, very straight forward networking, nothing fancy -- at least on my LAN level. I will look closer at this aspect as your experience states and let you know what I find.

Regards,

Mark

Problem solved. I collapsed my network after going and buying an SMC 16 port switch (instead of using smaller 4 port switches. I now have only two switches, all made by SMC. Everything is working, over a 48 hr period.

Thanks for the tip on the switch.

Regards,

Mark

Archived