Problems - Need to adjust DVD Write Speed in Retrospect 6.5!

Cumulous

Several of my clients use Retrospect 6.5 with DVD+R drives. However, some of those drives cause problems in Retrospect if the Write Speed cannot be manually set.

For example, a few of my clients are using Plextor PX-708A drives. These DVD+R drives allow writing certain 4x media at 8x speeds. The problem is that this method is faulty - and there is corrupted data most of the time this happens.

As a result, the machines using these drives must always have the speed manually set to 4x in any burning program they use.

The problem is that in Retrospect, I have found no way to manually set the Write Speed - and this is causing serious data corruption errors in the backups.

The closest I came to being able to do this was in Configure/Devices/{Device Properties}/Write Settings - and I changed it from Default to Medium - which is supposed to slow things down to half the drive's maximum speed. Doing this made either no difference, or caused Retrospect to burn at FASTER speeds. (480-550 MB/sec). Needless to say, this is useless.

However, the best way to do this is with a fixed setting (i.e. 2x, 4x, etc...) - not Fast, Medium, and Slow.

Does anyone know how I can set the Write Speed for Retrospect 6.5? Barring that, does anyone have any other good ideas on what can be done about this?

Thanks!

Cumulous

Quote:

natew said:

Hi

That is the proper way to set the write speed, have you tried one of the other settings?

The other option is to use 2x media (not great but it will certainly slow things down)

Nate

As I stated, I've already tried "Medium". I'll try "Slow" and see what happens.

Incidentally - is there any advantage in creating a Custom Driver for this drive, even though it already has built-in support? For example, is it possible to create a Custom Driver - and then edit the configuration to manually set the Write Speed?

Cumulous

Hi

That is an interesting question. I have not heard of anyone doing that but it is worth a try. I will say this - Dantz puts a lot of time and testing into device drivers. The custom driver you create will not include any updates and tweaks that wer done for this specific drive.

Nate

Archived