Error 10107 / -519 during backup

tlemons

Hi

I'm using Retrospect 6.5.336 on my Retrospect Professional system (which is running Windows XP Home Edition SP1). I'm backing up several clients including two Windows XP Home Edition systems, both also using Retrospect 6.5.336. When backups run on these to client computers, i get

- 1/20/2004 8:57:54 PM: Copying Documents and Settings on Squishyness

1/20/2004 8:57:54 PM: Connected to Squishyness

soccRecv: recv failed, error 10107

Trouble reading files, error -519 (network communication failed)

1/20/2004 8:58:51 PM: incomplete

Remaining: 4155 files, 239.5 MB

Completed: 56 files, 10.9 MB, with 63% compression

Performance: 0.1 MB/minute

Duration: 00:00:57 (00:03:08 idle/loading/preparing)

The system is reachable by ping:

C:\Documents and Settings\TerryL>ping squishyness

Pinging squishyness [192.168.0.101] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.0.101: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.101:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Documents and Settings\TerryL>

I know the client software is installed and working because (using Clients ... Properties ... General ... Refresh and Clients ... Properties ... Volumes), I get the appropriate responses back from the client. I saw this same problem last night, and possibly other nights, too.

Error 10107 isn't documented in the KnowledgeBase, and none of the Error -519 troubleshooting tips seem to apply. I'm assuming that the root cause of -519 is 10107, but that may be wrong.

What to do?

Thanks!

tl

Hi

The 10107 error is indeed not something we normally see in Retrospect. It may be a generic Windows error that is reported in the log by mistake.

Will the client reliably back up once after a reboot of both machines? What else is running on these machines? Any auto updates or virus scans? You might want to see if there are any driver updates for your network cards.

Can you backup other subvolumes on these clients sucessfully?

Thanks

nate

Thanks for the reply, Nate.

>Will the client reliably back up once after a reboot of both machines?

No.

>What else is running on these machines?

At the time of the backup, I don't have anything running interactively. I know that Norton Anti Virus is running in the background on both machines, and the virus definition files are up-to-date

>Any auto updates or virus scans?

The latest stuff is installed.

>You might want to see if there are any driver updates for your network cards.

All critical and driver updates have been applied to both systems.

>Can you backup other subvolumes on these clients sucessfully?

No. I've tried several.

I've also uninstalled and re-installed the Retrospect Client, and have deleted/re-created the client entry on the Retrospect Server.

What else can I try?

Thanks

tl

Hi

For some reason TCP/IP can get fouled up causing the client to fail. Updating network drivers will usually sort that kind of thing out. In your case uninstall the network card from device manager and reboot the machine. The drivers should automatically reload.

It is hard to say which machine is causing the problem. Any chance you could try backing up another computer? If that failed we would know the problem is on the backup machine.

Thanks

Nate

Hi

I've un-installed the network adapter on the client system, rebooted, allowed it to be automatically re-installed. But the backup fails again:

Executing Immediate Backup at 1/29/2004 9:01 PM

To Backup Set Backup Set B...

- 1/29/2004 9:01:50 PM: Copying Documents and Settings on Squishyness

1/29/2004 9:01:50 PM: Connected to Squishyness

soccRecv: recv failed, error 10107

Trouble reading files, error -519 (network communication failed)

1/29/2004 9:02:33 PM: incomplete

Remaining: 1344 files, 212.9 MB

Completed: 8 files, 8,842 KB

Performance: 28.7 MB/minute

Duration: 00:00:43 (00:00:25 idle/loading/preparing)

I see the same problem, night after night, on two different Windows XP Home systems. Is there a debug mode that can be enabled in Retrospect, to get more information? What do these error messages mean? What else can be tried to fix this problem?

I'm spending my evenings debugging Retrospect, and am starting to think about a refund.

Thanks for any help

tl

Hi

The fact that this is failing on 2 clients leads me to believe the problem may be on the backup machine itself. Can you try the network adapter uninstall/reinstall on the machine running Retrospect?

Can you install the Retrospect Application on one of the problem clients and run a test backup of the other XP machine? (even a small backup to a "file" backup set will help us determine where the cause of the problem lies)

Things like this can also be caused by network cables/hubs/switches etc. You could try switching the network cable being used by the backup machine or changing hub/switch ports for all 3 machines.

Hope that helps

Nate

Thanks for the suggestions:

I uninstalled the NIC on the backup server, rebooted it, let Windows re-configure the NIC, and retried backups. Same failures.

I installed Retrospect on one of the Windows XP Home systems on which backups are failing. I tried to backup the other Windows XP Home system - that worked fine.

I changed the Ethernet port to which the backup server is connected; same failure.

I changed the Ethernet cable used to connect the backup server to the Ethernet port; same failure.

Other thoughts?

Thanks

tl

Hi

That at least narrows it down to a problem on the primary backup machine. I found error 10107 listed as a Windows sockets error on this page:

http://www.elbiah.de/hamster/doc/ref/errwinsock.htm

What is the make and model of your network card? Do you have any firewall software installed ?(even if it is disabled) What else is running on the machine?

MSFT did not have any specific fixes for this problem that I could see. Maybe a more general networking update would take care of the problem. If possible I would drop another NIC in the machine and see if that helps. My guess is that the problem is related to your specific NIC rather than system level corruption.

Nate

Hi Nate

Thanks for your posting. I've found and solved the problem. I ran CYBERsitter 2003 in my backup server. I found that, when I de-installed CYBERsitter, the backups now ran without a problem.

What's odd about this is that my backup clients are:

1 old/slow Windows 2000 system

2 new/fast Windows XP systems

Backups always failed on the new/fast systems, but succeeded on the old/slow system; now that CYBERsitter is deinstalled, backups succeed for all three client systems. So, I'm guessing that CYBERsitter caused some kind of slowdown that was poisonous to Retrospect. This leaves me feeling that Retrospect could be improved in the area of incoming backup stream processing, in that it seems to not handle the case where the backup stream slows down or pauses.

If I was going to keep using CYBERsitter, this would be a problem. But CYBERsitter has made Internet Explorer unusably unstable, as well as not blocking bad language in AOL IM sessions; so I'm going to get rid of CYBERsitter anyway.

Thanks, again, for your help.

tl

Hi

Glad to hear you have a solution!

I have a mix of slow and fast clients on my network too. I have one machine in particular that has a 10/100 Nic but runs far faster when I slow the speed down to 10 Mbit. I think it boils down to overall network stability on the machine. In your case Cyber sitter may have been more likely to fail when more data was pushed through the connection. That failure probably took the Retro client along with it.

Nate

Hi Nate

The failure is occuring on the server, in that the Retrospect software on the server was getting errors, due (apparently) to the functioning of the CYBERsitter software running on the server. CYBERsitter is not running on the client systems.

tl

Exactly.

The server has to handle higher throughput from the faster clients. With CYBERsitter causing problems, the increased data throughput from the fast machines made it more likley to fall over. Slower clients with less data were less prone to fail.

Nate

Archived