Clients won't backup - hangs while scanning

jmichel99

Hello,

I'm using Retrospect Professional ver. 6.5.336, all systems in question are Win XP, the client version is 6.5.131.

I have two backup clients setup and one central system. Both clients seem to be communicating correctly and I get all the information about the client's volumes etc. in the "Live Network" window.

Whe I go to do a Backup or a Backup Preview, and select either of the clients as the source, Retrospect will hang after scanning the first volume. It completely counts all the folders and files of the first volume but then just sits with the dial spinning in the "Scanning" dialog box. The Stop button doesn't do anything and the rest of the program is unresponsive. The only option at that point is to force Windows to stop the process.

This does not happen when backing up a local volume, only a client across the network.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ahhh..... found it.

Even though I answered "yes" and told Zone Alarm to remember the answer during installation, when the backup / scanning ran, another program was invoked that Zone Alarm wanted an answer to.

"Do you want Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy to access the local network?"

The program file name is vssvc.exe. After ansering yes to that it works.

I didn't think Zone alarm was the problem at first because Retrospect shows up in the list of applications with access.

Watch out with your personal firewalls.............

Archived