Incomplete restore

johndon

My system dual boots to either Windows XP Professional from partition C or Windows 2000 Professional from partition D. Recently WIN XP became corrupted. I booted WIN 2K, deleted most of the files on C and then restored the entire volume C form my latest backup set. This backup set had been made in WIN XP. I used Retrospect V 6.5.336 with RDU V 4.6. Then when I tried to boot WIN XP I received an error message that file C:\Windows\System32\config\system was damaged or missing. Why was C:\Windows\System32\config\system not restored?

I am sorry I failed to make clear that WIN XP bootup hung after the error message and I could never get it to go any further. Other snapshots made no difference.

Disaster Recovery did not work. Apparently Retrospect and some RAID controllers, like my Promise FastTrack 378, are incompatible at this time.

Finally I had to reinstall WIN XP to a nonstandard folder, install Retrospect under the new WIN XP and restore the original WIN XP from my backup. This restore was successful.

My concern now is: If I make a backup in WIN XP and then restore the WIN XP system folder from that backup while I am in WIN 2K, are there files and folders that Retrospect does not restore? If so, is there any way to get them back if I cannot boot WIN XP?

Hi

My hunch is that had you been running windows XP (rather than win 2K) on your second partition the retrore would have been successful. As a rule it is best to run the same OS at the time of restore as you where when you ran the backup (for local backups). It _should_ work in your situation but apparently there is something that windows 2000 is failing to restore properly.

I doubt this is a matter of files missing unless XP is installed. Retrospect can do full restores of multiple OSes via Retropsect client - we know that functionality works. I think this just hasn't been tested in local environments.

Nate

Archived