Cannot add Client

LynneLarry

I cannot add a client to a RS 6.5 client database. I have installed Retrospect on a good number of Windows, Mac, and mixed networks, and have never had a problem until now.

Retrospect is on a Win98 computer (IP 192.168.123.20) and the client is on a WinXP(Pro) machine (IP 192.168.123.10). They are connected via an Asante FR3004 router/switch (on the switch side). When I bring up the Live Network window to add a client, no computers are listed. When I use the Test button and test 192.168.123.10, the response indicates that a client is present and identifies the proper version. If I test "Northgate" (the XP's windows networking name), the response also indicates that a client is present.

I have deleted and re-installed the client on the XP machine without any change in the behavior. There are no firewalls active on either machine.

What am I missing? Help!

Hi

Does your switch allow multicast packets? Can you try connecting these machines with a crossover cable? You might want to uninstall and Reinstall the network card on the windows 98 machine. Also double check that the built in Windows XP firewall is turned off.

nate

I have used this same router/switch and its sibling (FR1004) numerous times for other clients (Mac, Windows, and mixed) and it works just fine. It is a simple SOHO unmanaged device.

I am quite sure the built-in firewall is off, but even if it is on, supposedly installing the Retro client opens the port for Retrospect updates, right?

Hi

Installing Retrospect client "should" open the firewall. In my case it did not. Since you are still at the troubleshooting stage doublecheck that the XP firewall is turned off entirely. You can do this by right clicking on the connection name in the my network properties window

nate

Archived