Transferring backups to archive

djg

I want to move the backup set on h/d and put it on DVD for offsite storage. I thought that transfer would do it but it doesn't seem to have done that.

What I want to achieve is the current set on DVD and the set on h/d deleted to recover space. Obviously I will start a new complete backup on h/d.

Could you advise the best way to do this please because the archive and transfer options do not seem to do what I expect.

Regards

David

Hi

Transfer copies the contents of one backup set into another backup set. In your case that would mean you have to create a DVD backup set and copy the information over.

Since you are using a "disk" backup set A better way is to just burn the backup files straight to DVD using regular burning software. In the event of a restore you can access the files directly from the DVD disks.

Thanks

Nate

Yes it does seem to work.

I am using Nero and copying the files across in order, but it seems a messy way to do it. Nero does not seem to have a way of spanning disks, at least it is not evident. Thought about using the Nero backup module without compression but that would probably put it into another file format so didn't go any further with it.

Is there any wish list around for R/S where this feature could be requested?

Regards

David

David,

Re-reading this post thread I think I may have mislead you a bit.

The transfer function in Retrospect will allow you to copy all of the data in your "disk" backup set into a "DVD" backup set. Strictly speaking the transfer function should do what you are looking to do.

Your original post said that it was not working the way you expected so I suggested burning the files to DVD directly.

In the end you are going to have to sit there and change disks no matter what. Although Nero may require more work in between disk changes. Can you give some more detail on why the transfer was not doing what you wanted?

Thanks

Nate

Thanks Nate

I think I must look at the transfer again.

Initially I was having some problems with the drive. Updating the firmware and changing to a slightly better disc seems to have cured it.

What puzzled me with the transfer is that accoding to the size of the backup on the h/d it should have taked around 7 disks but it took 2 to do it.

Just taking a quick look at it, it seems that the error is mine - being dumb again. I set it up just to backup 2k, but it seems that I have included the other partitions as well.

I will try and sort it out over the w/e and get back to you, but I am pretty sure it is my error.

Regards

David

Archived