CD Recovery Disk

danmon

How are you trying to create the CDR? You're not supposed to save the ISO *to* the CD, but rather use a program such as Nero, EasyCD, etc. to create a CD *from* the ISO file.

There are also issues with overstuffed Windows directories (and minimal intelligence and effort from Retrospect) that can require you to create the ISO from your original install CD rather than your harddrive. Do some thread searches.

And then there's my way of not using DR at all but rather installing a second copy of Windows on another bootable harddrive (where you can also save your RP data).... Several threads discuss this.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually, this is a real bug with Retrospect - it will build as large a file as it feels like, despite the fact that it cannot fit on a CD. The solution, as noted in the link:

http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=professional&Number=35653&Forum=professional&Words=disaster%20recovery&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=35272&Search=true#Post35653

is to set the pointer for system files during the DR file generation to the I386 folder on the Windows distribution CD. Then the file generated will fit. However, though others claim this works successfully, my attempts to far genrate a CD that does boot and start the loading process, but hangs when it loads the IDE drivers. I am still researching this.

Hi

Make sure you have Retrospect 6.5.336 - it excldes the catalog from the backup set which can save you some space. I find that Dell i386 folders in particular cause this problem. I think they include some international versions of Nvidia and ATI video divers which are huge on the ISO. Is that true in your case?

Nate

Archived