I'm runnig Retrospect under Mac OS X on 'unsupported' Power mac 8600 with Sonnet 500 MHz G3 accelerator.

Right after updating software to 5.0.23, when I start backup Server script, I get:

Internal consistency check failed:

Assertion check at elem16.c-687

Other scripts (non-Backup Server type) execute just fine. The one coming up with above error was working fine (I was getting errors 105, but that's a different story) up unitl the update to 5.0.23.

So far my experience with retro 5 under OS X is rather ugly. Wondering if I'll be better off with this software under OS 9. Ideas?

Jan

Ouch. I have this error too after updating with the patch. Most of the machines in last night's script backed up fine. It fialed right at the end on a Windows client running Retro Client 5.6

I'm running Retrospect 5.1.023 Server Edition on OS X Server 10.1.3

Bryan,

Are your running OS X Server (and patched Retrospect 5.0.023) on 'supported' computer, that is on something Apple says OS X should run? If so, instead of running out to my campus store to get $1,200 Power Mac G4, I'm inclined to revert my Retrospect installation to version 5.0 and run my Backup Serve scripts again, see if the problem clears - this would mean the 5.0.023 patch introduced it.

Jan

Hi Irena:

Here's what I'm finding now. If I even connect to a client to modify the configuration, I can consistently get the elem 16.c-687 This seems to occur on Windows clients only at the moment.

I went to the client computer and rebooted it, and I'm still getting the same error.

I went to the client database and "forgot" one of the clients that was having the issue. I was able to log back into it and configure. When I tried to launch an immediate backup of the client, it bomed with the same error.

Have you reinstalled the application from scratch? Tried new backup sets? Reinstalled the client software? You say that this seems to be isolated to a Windows client? What OS? Have you tried updating ethernet drivers for the client?

Thanks,

Irena

IrenaS,

I'm having the very same error of Bryan, my Windows client is the latest V.5.x

(running under windows 2000), I have Retrospect workgroup V. 5.x running on OS

X with a Sony TL9000 autoloader, my set up sucessfully back up 21 Mac clients

(thanks to the latest patch you release), but when the backup arrives to the

Windows the "Assertion check at "elemen.c-817" error, comes. Any suggestions?

FYI, I already did what Bryan did, uninstall client and install. Maybe the

only difference is that this machine has PC MacLan Pro, an Apple Talk client

running, I turned it off, same error I received.

Actually it backed up fine before exchanging files with the other Mac clients

(through PC MacLan Pro)

Thanks in advance,

n0nsense

I too experienced the 'elem16-c-687' error on two NT workstations after upgrading my backup server to Retrospect 5.0.023 (Backup Server) running on a 500DP G4 running Mac OS X 10.1.4. After updating each of these clients with the updater installed on the 5.0 CD, I would receive the error after selecting either the 'Configure' or 'Volumes' tab from the Client Configuration dialog.

To correct the issue I downgraded the client install to v5.1 (included on the 4.3 CD), restarted the machine, verified that the Control Panel was set properly, forgot the client, and readded it. I now no longer receive the 'elem16-c-687' error when selecting the 'Configure' or 'Volumes' tab from the Client Configuration dialog.

• 2 weeks later...

I also have experienced this error, with 100% repeatability. Rebooted my Mac OS X 10.1.3 system, launching Retrospect 5.0.203 and 5.0.205, attempting to back up my wife's system (the only PC on our home network) fails with this error:

Trouble in Retrospect: [[Quit]]

Internal consistency check failed:

Assertion check at "elem16.c-687"

The PC is running Windows 98 OSR2, and I had updated it to the most recent PC client, 5.6, via the "push" upgrade mechanism in Retrospect.

When I downgrade the PC client manually (uninstall Retrospect Client, reboot, install 5.15 from Retrospect 4.3 CD) and reboot the PC, I am once again able to back up this system. (Note: I did nothing on my Mac while I was doing the downgrade, so the only thing different is the PC client software.)

So, it looks like the problem is with the 5.6 PC client software.

I tried the following

I did a clean install (including deleting old prefs) of Retrospect 5.0 with the latest patches. I then logged in all 85 clients (!) again and I launched a full backup over the weekend. The error did not occur. Before doing this, the Windows clients that were causing the inconsistency errors were indeed running the latest version of Retro client (5.6).

I'm wondering if the client database somehow gets corrupted by using the latest Windows client? The client database seems to live inside of the Retro.Config (5.0) preference file. This file is currently 142 MB in size on my machine.

I'll keep an eye on things this week...I generally do one full backup at the beginning of the month, then incrementals there after.

I'm running Retrospect 5.0 Build 205 on a G4 867/OS X 10.1.4/640 MB RAM backing up to an Overland Data MiniLibraryXpress 15 tape autoloader with a Quantum SDLT-1 drive.

Archived