505 client reserved

We upgraded to Server 5 in Feb. 2003. We found we couldn't use it as it wasn't compatible with OS 9 servers so we went back to Retrospect 4. So now we finally have an XServe and we're running Retrospect 5 exclusively on a Mac Server 9650/350, OS 9.

Occasionally overnight backup fails with the following message: -505 client reserved. According to the knowledgebase: "This error occurs when a client is in use by another backup computer. This can also happen when the backup computer or client computer crashes during an operation."

Neither of these apply to us. We only have one backup computer and neither the backup computer or the XServe have crashed. Restarting does solve the problem but restarting the Xserve is an inconvenience to our users.

Is there another reason this error occurs?

I read in the Dantz forum where another user was told by Dantz upgrading to 5.1 client would solve this problem. Since we only started using 5.0, I don't think we can justify spending another $369 to upgrade.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Cindy

Hi

If you bought this version of Retrospect a while ago chances are you need to get some updates (free updates that is)

The most current version of the Retrospect application is 5.0.238. The most current version of the client is 5.0.540 but you can also use the 5.1 client application with 5.0 if needed. I'd start there.

updates page

Nate

Quote:

natew said:

The most current version of the Retrospect application is 5.0.238. The most current version of the client is 5.0.540 but you can also use the 5.1 client application with 5.0 if needed. I'd start there.

I updated the Xserve client software to 5.1 The Retrospect app was already at 5.0.238. I continue to have the same problem. Any other suggestions?

Cindy

Hi

Does the Retrospect operations log indicate any kind of failure when backup up that machine _prior_ to the session where the error 505 occurs? A failed backup or a client connection that did not desconnect properly can cause this sort of thing. One thing to try is rebooting the backup machine instead of the server. I would wait 10 minutes before trying to connect to the client again.

Thanks

nate

I frequently get the error when the computer freezes at the point of updating the catalog. This makes the catalog useless and I have to start all over backing up the servers, which is a 24 hour process.

I've moved the catalogs to a different drive (along with running diagnostics on the backup computer which is a newly formatted Mac) and that didn't help the problem any.

Restarting both computers solves the problem - until the next day. Waiting 10 minutes to connect doesn't help.

Cindy

Archived