SCSI is Slower

queuebert

I am using Retrospect 5.0 on Mac OS9 and am trying to back up several Windows clients. I have 3 computers using SCSI drives, and 1 using IDE. I've also tried two other SCSI-based computers and one other IDE-based computer. All computers are attached to the same switch across the network. The problem is that all instances seem to point to the fact that trying to back up over the network from a SCSI device is painfully slow (about 25-40MB/min) while backing up from an IDE device is rather zippy (about 550-600MB/min). Has anyone run into this before, and/or have any suggestions as to how to remedy it?

It may also be worth noting that the compare on the SCSI drives is what is really bringing the speed down. The backup goes at about 70MB/min and the compare is much slower than that.

Oddly enough, the IDE machines have been comparatively underpowered.

Specifically:

The fast-to-backup machine:

AMD Athlon XP 2000+

1.5GB DDR RAM

2x 60GB Maxtor Ultra ATA 133 drives (independent)

The slow-to-backup machines:

Machines 1 and 2:

Dual Pentium 3 @1.3GHz

2GB DDR RAM

3x 36GB UWSCSI 160MB/sec drives (one is in RAID 0 and the other is RAID 5)

Machine 3

Dual Pentium 4 @2.0GHz

4GB DDR RAM

2x 36GB UWSCSI 160MB/sec drives (independent)

I know it shouldn't make a difference what sort of bus the drives are on in terms of backup speeds, especially since it's going over a network. But it's about the only answer I can come up with that makes any sense, given the relative power of each machine.

Hmmmm

The other common factor on the "slow" machines is probably the network card. You may want to try updating or reinstalling the network driver on these machines.

It may actually be that the network cards on the intel machines are too fast for the Mac to negotiate network communication optimally. Hard to believe but I have a mac client here that will choke completely unless I have it connected to a 10Mb hub. If It is set up at 100Mb (like the rest of the network) it drops packets like crazy and the backup goes at 1Mb/minute.

That said you may also want to look into the network adapter on this Mac. If possible try installing Retrospect on another Mac and see if the problems continue.

Nate

Archived