If backup cancelled during file compare, is there a way to just do file compare?

raymartin

New user. Used Retrospect 6.5 Pro for Windows on Win XP backed up to Travan USB tape device. During the file compare, after sucesfull back-up, I tried to open the on-line help, and the Help froze. I cancelled Help and Retrospect was cancelled. Since the data was already copied to tape I decided to verify contents. Verify was succesfull.

(a) Assuming that file contents match disk - once the backup is complete is the tape good for restore purposes?

(B) If I have a power cut during file compare, is there a way to just do the file compare only?

Hi

There are 2 types of compare operations in Retrospect:

a)after a backup the files on the backup media are compared directly to those on the disk

or

b)you can do a verify operation on the media that verifies the files on the media match the files listed in the catalog file.

In the event of a power outage or backup failure it is good to do a verify of the media and then do another incremental backup. This will pick up any inconsitencies between the backup media and the data on your disks

nate

Archived