Autoloader bug in retrospect???

Is it possible that Retrospect has a small bug when using autoloader tape drives?

I'm curreently using a Sony AIT Autoloader in MacOS X, (TSL-300 i belive) and whenever i eject a magazine while being in the device window or restoring data (When the software ask for a specific tape in multiple-tape set) and i insert it back again, Retrospect is not showing me the loader button/scroll menu right of the devices. I must do a rescan of the devices and it comes back again. Anyone experienced this?

Regards

I've just come back to the forum to look for other people having autoloader problems. We have an seven-slot ADIC FastStor DLT4000 connected to an ATTO SCSI card in a G4, as well as a single-tape Quantum DLT8000 on the same bus. It worked ok with Retrospect 4.3, but in Retrospect 5.0 (including the latest update which I just applied this morning - I'm still in the "testing" phase with 5.0), it seems unable to track the tapes in the loader. In Backup Server mode, it does work, but once it becomes idle, it starts continually scanning the tapes in the loader, and I think this is slowing or perhaps even preventing further backups from occuring despite the fact that the correct tapes are present. I will test further but I suspect these may be related problems.

I too have had autoloader problems. Just upgraded my OS X Desktop version to 5.0 (including the patch). Erased all of the tapes on my Sony TSL-S9000L, ran a Backup Server Script, and it cycled continuously through all of the tapes, looking for 1-Backup Set A. I had to cancel the script.

Also, I recently moved this autoloader from our Windows Server version 5.6. On that machine there was an option to mark an autoloader slot as a Tape Cleaner slot. I don't see that feature on OS X Desktop 5.0. Did I lose this feature, or is it just moved?

tm

To any that are seeing this problem, can you post a bit more information to try and determine a pattern?

OS version? Retrospect version? SCSI card and driver/firmware version if applicable? Exact mechanism and firmware of the tape drive (from the Device Status window)?

Do you have a loader pop-up menu in the Configure > Devices screen?

Describe the symptoms -- some posts report continuous scanning, some report other problems.

Does Retrospect recognize tapes correctly when you manually insert them?

Thanks,

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

Irena, somehow my autoloader bug appears cured - Retrospect now seem to acquire an accurate list of the tapes in the loader, even while Backup Server is running, and writes to a tape without error. The optimistic viewpoint would be that upgrading to OS X 10.1.4 cured it somehow. The pessimistic view would be that it's somehow conditional on something I haven't done in this particular run. Be sure that I will post back here again with details if it does go bad.

Autoloader is an ADIC FastStor FS-DLT 4000

Retrospect's device window lists:

ID Vendor Product Version Driver

SCSI-A:1 ADIC FastStorDLT 0119 Adic Library (1.35)

SCSI-A:3 Quantum DLT4000 D98C DLT 20.0 DC (1.35)

(as well as my other drive)

SCSI-A:9 QUANTUM DLT8000 0114 DLT 40.0 DC (1.35)

OSX 10.1.3, Retrospect Desktop 5.0.203, Sony TSL-S9000: L202.

I was using an Initio card (INI-A100U2W), but I saw that it is not supported hardware. So I am in the process of installing an Adaptec 2930U to keep narrow devices on narrow cards.

Will update my post when I get to test it.

Previously, Yes, I saw the Loader pop-up menu, with 8 tapes listed. I don't recall exactly about the manually inserting tapes, but memory tells me that that worked, and Retrospect recognized them this way. Yes, I came back hours later to see the loader continuously scanning for a tape.

More to come. And by the way, I'm really happy I found this forum. Twice I had searched in vain for more detailed information than the Knowledge Base provided, and was frustrated that I couldn't get technical support for an upgrade - even by e-mail. The cost structure of support seems overpriced, so I'm glad this community exists.

tm

• 3 weeks later...

I am having similar autoloader problems. I have a Exabyte 215M connected to my G4/ DP 500 MHZ with OEM Apple LVD card from Atto. When I launch Retrospect 4.3 in classic mode (9.2.2) , Retrospect can see the autoloader and the "loader" tab can be selected. I can select all 15 tapes.

When I launch Retrospect 5.0.2 in classic or OS X (10.1.4) mode, Retrospect will recgonize that a device exists on SCSI 2(drive) and SCSI 4(loader), but the loader tab is greyed out and I can't select any tapes. It just states "Media Missing"

I have update all software and restarted many times and the problem exists.

Is this a bug?

Dantz, please help. I just spent alot of money upgrading to a Server version of Retrospect.

I am updating my original post. The autoloader is SCSI 2 and the Mammouth drive is SCSI 4. Retrospect can see the drive in the Device Status window and labels it Exabyte Mammoth DC (1.35). It also recognizes the autoloader as Exabyte 215, but after the version number it states (No Driver).

Maybe Retrospect 5 doesn't have drivers for my 215M?

Thanx

The No Driver message should not appear under OS X. The message has changed.

Can you copy the text from the Device Status window?

Also, please provide:

Retrospect Version and build

Computer Model and speed

OS X version and build

Adapter Card

Adapter Card firmware

Adapter Card driver for OS X

Thanks

I am running Retrospect 5.0.205.

Computer is an Apple G4 DP 500. Ram is 256 MB.

Firmware of computer is 4.28.

Operating system is OS X 10.1.4

Scsi card is the Apple OEM LVD- Atto, Express PCI Pro UL3D

The card rom is 1.6.1f1.

The driver is the driver that came with OS X.

Again, this autoloader works great with Retrospect 4.3, but not with Retrospect 5.0205.

The Apple scsi card is a 68 pin LVD ( not the small VHDCI) and the drive is also a standard 68 pin Exabyte Mammouth M2 drive.

The device status window for the library states 1:2 as the ID, Exabyte as the vendor, Exabyte 215 as the product, 2.12 as the version and (No Driver) as the driver.

The device status window for the drive states 1:4 as the ID, Exabyte as the vendor, Mamoth2 as the product, v05c as the version and Exabyte Mammoth DC (1.35) as the driver.

I have confirmed with Exabyte that the autoloader and drive have the most current firmware.

I did have similiar problem with the autoloader. I have Qualstar TLS-4210 Library with Sony SDX-500C Tape Drive. Before it was working nicely with Retrospect 4.3, but after upgrading to Mac OS X on my B/W G3 400 and Retrospect 5.0 Server, I came across unnecessary problems. First, Adaptec 2940UW and 2940U2W SCSI cards are not supported, so I replaced it with 2930U. Then I couldn't get Loader/Scroll menu. After consulting with the real tech engineer at Dantz, I found that by setting the SCSI ID number on the tape drive should be lower than the library. It works for me now. I found out that there is a secret preference setting from the Preferences Tab. Hold down the option key and click on preference button. You wil see list of options so go and select SCSI log. Be sure you have Log window open then you click on devices status to see the results.

Hurray for Retrospect tech support!!!! They solved my problem. It turned out to be SCSI voodoo. I changed the library to SCSI ID 4 and the Mammoth drive to SCSI ID 1 and this worked. I have no idea why. At one time they were just 2 id's apart, but 3 ID's apart seems to be the trick.

Thank You

Archived