200 Client Strategy assistance

I have two Retrospect 5.1 Servers running on MacOS X 10.2.8 with an OverLand LoaderExpress (19 tapes) attached to each. I have a mixed client base of windows, macs...each platform made up of desktops and laptops. One LoaderExpress has two AIT-1 drives the other just one. I have three Wind2K servers and One MacOS X 10.3.2 server and several MacOS X 10.x clients running various server based software.

I only intend to backup documents and files, not applications or system software. I want to backup each client daily, with a four week rotation. The fourth week will be rotated off site with the following months fourth week. I would like to allow each client to perform an immediate backup if they are working on a critical project.

Any guidance and assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ric

-----------------------------------

Frederic L. Washer, Programmer/Analyst

Information Technology

Dartmouth College - VP For development

Hi

This should be no sweat. I would split the clients in half between the two servers to guarantee you get a backup every day.

You can backup just documents by using the documents selector in your script. You can also create custom selectors to specifically remove/include files and folders.

When you say "four week rotation" do you mean a full backup every week with one set going off site every month? Or do you mean full backup once a month - the incoming set from off site being overwritten?

Thanks

Nate

Quote:

natew said:

You can backup just documents by using the documents selector in your script. You can also create custom selectors to specifically remove/include files and folders.

When you say "four week rotation" do you mean a full backup every week with one set going off site every month? Or do you mean full backup once a month - the incoming set from off site being overwritten?

I have done custom selectors...so I am all set there.

By four week rotation I mean a new backup set every week in a four week period, performing a daily incremental backup. So, I would start each week on a Saturday so the new or recycled set would have the entire weekend to backup all the clients. The "4th" week rotating off sight every other 4th week...make sense?

I was thinking I would use the "New Media backup" for the fourth week set...that way I could keep it automated as much as possilbe and just remove and insert tapes every four weeks. And hopefully it just runs and emails me the errors.

What makes it all confusing for me is when i want to add the ability for each client to run an immediate backup. I need to use the backup server script for that, but I have found that I can't make use of different storage sets and/or recycle media the way I would want to. It appeas that I will need another whole storage set just for the backup server piece.

Thanks,

Ric

Backup Server scripts cannot be scheduled in the way that regular scripts are scheduled. That is to say that you can't tie a backup set to a particular schedule.

You'll need to change the backup set destination each time (week?) if you want to limit backup server to only one backup set, or use a different backup set.

Archived