NAS boxes and Windows Storage Server 2003 running Retrospect

mlenny

We are looking at getting a NAS server with around 3TB of storage, running Windows Storage Server 2003. Although we won't be using all that space at first, we need to make sure we can back it up for off-site storage.

We already have a W2K Server running Retrospect Multi-Server and with a LTO and DLT1 drive attached by an Adaptec 39160.

I know we can stick a SCSI card in the NAS box, but will it run the Retrospect software? This would allow us to shift the backup software to the NAS box and take advantage of local backup speeds, rather than network backup through the NAS 2 x Gigabit Ethernet to the existing W2K server.

Otherwise, what kind of speed could I expect over gigabit connection? And will Windows Storage Server even run the Retrospect client?

Thanks, Matt.

Hi

Retrospect runs quite nicely on windows 2000 based NAS boxes and is fully compatible with windows 2003 servers. Unless MSFT has made some major changes to the OS Retrospect should work just fine on a 2003 Storage Server box. The client will run too.

It is hard to say about the speed though. I can get 400Mb/ min from my 10/100 network - I imagine your backup device and CPU power on the backup machine may be the biggest bottleneck.

Nate

That sounds promising - thankfully I can get a loan unit to try out first so I'll post to the thread when I find out for sure.

We currently get around 800MB/min from our backup drive that is attached locally to the main server (the current data store). The NAS will be on gigabit, attached to the same switch as the current server, so again, it sounds hopeful that we'll be able to maintain backup speeds at around current rates without having to reinstall SCSI cards or Retrospect onto the NAS as well.

Looking forward to trying it all out!

Thanks, Matt.

Archived