Express 6.0 -- Win XP Pro

michaelm961

80Gb Segate SATA HD crashed; tape drive is Seagate/Certance 20/40Gb USB 2.0 external; no errors on routine backups (2 tapes); Reformated HD and reinstalled XPP; Installed USB and tape drive; Tried to recover catalog from tape and got lots of -102's and some -205's and never finished; Took tape drive unit to older laptop (Toshiba) with USB 1.0 and recovered catalog; Copied catalog to desktop machine I'm trying to restore and was able to begin "Restore - Entire Volume"; Restore "dies" after various amounts of time (with some of the 130,000 files and 9.2Gb restored); after each error, I restarted the Restore and was getting further; Now, with 2.4Gb left to restore, the process seems to "crash" more quickly; retensioned tape without improvement; Decided to EXIT Retrospect and restart; New problem--won't restart (assertion failure at "module.cpp-1059"); Tried to "repair" Retrospect and get same error; Nothing in KB about that specific assertion; After reading forum posts, have decided to close Retrospect and restart Win XPP (with crossed fingers and prayers)--have not done so yet; Where's Operations Log file stored and it's name (I don't want to lose it for additional troubleshooting); PLEASE comment on each of the problems I'm having

Hi

There were a number of USB2 issues that were addressed with updates to Windows XP. I would update the service pack and do windows updates for the XP system before running the restore.

Another way to do this would be to hook the tape drive to a USB1 controller on your XP machine. Painfully slow but it will work.

Nate

Archived