PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-106D

I just installed this new optical ATAPI device and I am not sure if it is supported by Retrospect 6.5.336. I am having problems getting this PIONEER device configured, the program stops responding, seems in a loop and locks the drive until CPU power down and restart.

I am using Windows XP SP2. No other program has any problems accessing, writing or reading from this drive.

Thank you

Nevio Margon blush.gif

Hi

Sorry about that - I wasn't paying attention to the thread title. doh.gif

If you have an intel IDE controller try uninstalling the intel application accelrator. I would also try installing ASPI from the ASPIINST.exe file located within the Retrospect program folder. There is also an update to ASPI avail from Adaptec that you can apply the initial install.

Double-check or replace the IDE cable if possible. Ultra ATA cables are a lot like SCSI in that they are easier to damage.

Nate

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestions, but the drive responds correctly with other software, (ie NERO V6.0 where it reads and writes correctly without problems) so I can justifiably deduct that it must be the Restrospect V6.5 software that it is unable to correctly identify the drive, in fact when attempting to configure the device with Retrospect, in the "Location" it indicates the device as "SCSI 0:0", whereas it is should be "O:\". Clearly something is wrong as on the same cable, connected as a slave drive, there is an IOMEGA ZIP drive which is correctly identified by Retrospect as "N:\"

The ASPI drivers are the latest from the Adaptec Website as so is the firmware; the cable must be OK as other software has no problems.

What can you suggest next? Have you got any idea when Dantz may fully support the drive?

Nevio

Hi

The next step is to do the following:

Open Retrospect and type CTRL + ALT + P + P at any screen. Under the execution heading select Use NT SCSI passthrough. Click OK and close/relaunch Retrospect. (This will not affect ASPI usage by other programs)

Does the problem happen if the burner is the only device on the IDE chain?

Thanks

Nate

What version of the Retrospect Driver Update do you have installed? Check the Retrospect Operations Log for details. This drive has a minimum driver version of 4.3.102 for compatibility.

If the correct driver is installed, and you are still experiencing difficulties go to

Run under the start menu and type msconfig.

On the Services tab, hide all Microsoft Services with the check box then hit the "Disable" button. Do the same for the Startup tab. This will disable all third party software on boot. Reboot and test your backup. If the problem goes away, start selectively enabling your services and startup items.

Hi Nate,

Many thanks for your kind advice, but it did not work. I got tired of wasting time so I purchased an external Maxtor USB2/Firewire 160GB drive and now I have no problems with the backup; the Retrospect emergency DR creation gets created on the root hard disk, which on job completion I copy, using Nero V6.0, to the Pioneer CD/DVD -RW drive.

Many thanks any way.

Nevio

Archived