volumes "swapped" on OSX clients

Apologies if I've gotten the terminology wrong. I'll explain.

I'm running MacOSX.3 on a G4, connecting to a SCSI tape loader. The clients in question are all 10.2 and above. This situation was also seen when the server is 10.2+. We have three partitions as part of our standard install System, Scratch, User Files. Scratch is ignored for backup. User Files are fully backed up, and System is subvolumed :System:User:. The server is the latest version, and in most cases, so are the clients. Of course, this is the Mac version of retro, so it's all a little old anyway.

The problem comes when I go to deselect Scratch from the volumes. I go to Client, and configure, then to Volumes. Here I see the three partitions, and the subvolumed System:User:. If I deselect Scratch, click ok, then go back to that client and click on volumes again, Scratch is reselected, and worse, User Files is *unselected*! I work in a scientific research institute, and so User Files contains extremely important data. We were hoping the upgrade to x.3 would fix it, but alas no. Anyone seen this, or have any ideas?

Thanks!

Server 5.1.175

Clients, majority split between 5.1.109 (the elusive 157) and 5.0.236

Happens on some clients and not others, but there doesn't seem to be a link between client version and problem. It's possible my backup addled brain missed a connection due to retro-overload though.

Hi

Since all of these machines are running 10.2 and above I would update all of them at once from the server. You need at least client version 5.0.540 for OSX 10.2

Let me get this straight you have defined 3 subvolumes in Retrospect for each machine? Or is it that you have 3 partitions on each machine?

Nate

Archived