Client not Found?

pwalters

Hello All,

On one of my Windows 2000 machines, the Retrospect client(6.5) appears to be acting weirdly. It says that it's running, and ready to be used. However, on my Backup Server(also 6.5) it can't find the Client running. The Backup Server is able to communicate with the machine in other ways. I ran netstat -an on the Client machine, and I didn't see port 497 open.

All I've tried so far is removing the Retrospect Client and then re-installing it, and that hasn't helped. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Hi

Make sure you have any firewalls turned off on the client machine. You may want to try uninstalling the network card in device manager and then rebooting the machine. Do you have other clients that show up properly? What client and Retrospect version are you using?

Thanks

Nate

Hi,

I've found that if a client is on a different network (i.e 10.x.10.10), I have to add the client using it's WINS name, DNS name or IP address. If I use multicast broadcasting and add the client's subnet to the multicast subnet list, the client will NOT show up in the list. I believe it has to due with Multicast packets generally not being allowed through routers to reduce WAN traffic...

natew: The machine is completely un-firewalled, and I do have other clients that show up just fine on the server. I'll go ahead and try removing and re-installing the drivers for the NIC.

tremblyj: The client and server are on the same network. The server has 2 interfaces, and I've specified the outside interface, which is the proper one. Also, I've tried to add it by just giving Retrospect the client's IP address, and that too was a no go.

I appreciate both of your responses. I'll post more as more happens. Thanks!

Archived