Getting Error -127 when trying to backup OS X client

Client OS: OS X 10.2.8

Clent software: Retrospect 5.0.540

Retrospect Server: 5.0.238

Server OS: 9.2.2

I am getting an error -127 when trying to back up the client with the above combination. I have tried leaving the client running, hidden, on the computer. I have closed the client down, so it is not running. I still get the same message.

The OS X 10.2.8 install is brand new. I have repaired permissions after the install.

What am I missing?

Thanks

Hi

"Error 127 (Volume corrupt?)" can usually be taken at face value. There is some corruption on the volume being backed up or on the disk where the catalog file is being stored. Using disk warrior or Norton disk doctor is a good place to start.

I have not had much luck with the OSX disk utility actually finding problems - maybe that is just me ?

Thanks

nate

Quote:

natew said:

Hi

"Error 127 (Volume corrupt?)" can usually be taken at face value. There is some corruption on the volume being backed up or on the disk where the catalog file is being stored. Using disk warrior or Norton disk doctor is a good place to start.

I have not had much luck with the OSX disk utility actually finding problems - maybe that is just me ?

Thanks

nate

The question then arises: is the volume that is corrupted the hard drive being backed up, or the Retrospect backup set?

Without changing anything, I put a tape in for a monthly backup. The script recycles the tape (and, I assume the backup set). The OS X computer backed up perfectly. I checked this morning on the weekly script and it too recycles the tape. Backup went perfectly.

I need to know interactions, as I am planning a major switch from OS 9 to OS X, and I want the backups to go smoothly.

In addition, does the Retrospect "Control Panel" have to be running for backups to work in OS X? Or is Retrospect a deamon, running in the background?

Thanks

Quote:

The question then arises: is the volume that is corrupted the hard drive being backed up, or the Retrospect backup set?

The Operations Log will document the error and help to identify when/where the problem occured. From the sound of your original post I'd guess the error is in the client machine.

>In addition, does the Retrospect "Control Panel" have to be running for backups

>to work in OS X? Or is Retrospect a deamon, running in the background?

The Retrospect client process is named "pitond" that is loaded by a script in /Library/StartupItems/Retrospect Client/. It works in conjunction with another process named "retropds.22" that starts up during actual backups. The Retrospect Client application is a Cocoa app interface to configure the deamon.

Dave

Archived