Proactive Backup Problems

mwt16

I'm running version 6.0 single server version on a win 2K server. I'm backing up mainly win XP machines (with a few win 2K machines). The backups have been running great until a few days ago. When the server starts to backup users, and gets a 1020 Sharing Violation error, it displays a message box and waits for a response before moving on. This is a problem for me because most clients are backed up at night and during the weekend so no one is available to answer this message box. Is there a way to stop retrospect from displaying the messagebox? I have been getting these messages in the log file the entire time I've had retrospect running (around 1 year), but I have only recently gotten the messagebox that stalls unattended execution. I already tried turning off alerts in the preferences area, but that did not prevent the messagbox. Thanks for any help.

It doesn't make a difference if Retrospect auto-launches or if I start it. I tried creating new scripts and getting rid of the old ones. This did not help either. Any other suggestions? Is there a way to turn off all messagboxes?

Thanks

Hi

Unfortunately there is no master setting like what you are referring to. Your best bet is to set all of your preferences to default and then restart retrospect. Then you can go back in an make any changes as needed. Hopefully that will reset the prefs so it doesn't hang on that error any more.

You could also create a custom selector that will exclude that problem file from the backup.

Nate

Thanks for the suggestions. I finally figured out something that worked. By just de-selecting the checkbox in the alert section of preferences and then starting the proactive backup didn't work. However, when I de-selected it, closed Retrospect and restarted it, then started the proactive backup, the message box no longer pops up. I'm not sure why closing and re-opening worked, but it did.

Thanks

Archived