problems burning to DVD-R

I am evaluating backup options and am using a demo version of Retrospect 5.1.175 on a Dual G4 1.4ghz 2gb RAM. Backing up up from an 690GB XServe Raid to a built in Pioneer DVR-105

So far I have backed up about 9 gigs and had 2 errors.

the first error was 206 (drive reported a failure:dirty heads, bad media, etc)

and the second was 204 (device busy)

This concerns me because I have been burning to DVD-R's using toast at 4x speed without a single wasted disc for months and retrospect reported these 2 errors.

QUESTION 1: Is the data that was written up to the point of the error usable, or do I need to trash the disk and redo the backup. It appears that the data is ok, but retrospect can no longer write to that disk. I got this info by looking at the Member of my backup set:

4-JOBS_2003 1024k used

3-JOBS_2003 1.8G used (I got the 204 error on this disc)

2-JOBS_2003 4.4G used

1-JOBS_2003 3.1G used (I got the 206 error on this disc)

By looking through the catalog and doing spot-test restores it seems all the data is on the discs, but I would like to know this for sure

QUESTION 2: Is the drive not supported or should I use different brand media (I am currently using Matsui)? Again, I can burn with Toast without any problems using Buffer Underrun Prevention at 4X Speed

Thanks

Hi

The data is most likely good but it is hard to be sure. You may want to set the members missing so the files that were stored on them are backed up again.

Retrospect uses a different writing method to write to disks than toast. This is to ensure data recoverability from damaged media. The downside is some drive/media combinations don't do very well with this write method. Your best bet is to try Taiyo Yuden or Apple branded media.

Thanks

Nate

Hi

This is an ongoing debate with my collegues in US Tech Support. In my exprience Taiyo Yuden, TDK, and Apple branded are the best. Taiyo Yuden are hard to come by in the US but I think they are probably the best media out there. More expensive of course but very reliable. TDK is what I usually recommended when I was in the US.

Apple media (memorex rebrand?) is what Apple recommends so it a good standby. Unfortunately I don't have a specific recommendation for your drive.

Nate

Archived