Trouble with client behind firewall.

chigginson

Retrospect server is Mac OSX running retrospect 5.0.

Client is WinXP running client that came with server software.

Client sits behind a Linksys firewall. Port 497 is open for UDP and TCP packets.

If I move the WinXP client out from behind the firewall things work fine. However, when I move it back behind the firewall and give it a private ip address (10.10.1.2) I can see the client from the server but cannot configure it.

When I open retrospect on the server, the machine is listed as "responding" in the list of network clients. However, when I click on "configure" for the client, it looks like the server tries to log in and a dialog box appears that says:

Connecting at 10.10.1.2...

Then I get a second dialog box with the following error:

Error -1028 Client is not visible on network.

I assume its failing because it needs to be connecting to the WAN address on the firewall that is using port forwarding on port 497 to the private ip address 10.10.1.2. Of course it is never going to find a machine on 10.10.1.2. How do I fix this problem?

Chris

Hi

There are 2 problems here:

#1 Retrospect desktop and professional cannot be used with multiple subnets. Since your router uses network address translation for the private side of your network you have likely have 2 subnets.

#2 Routers tend not to forward multicast packets. This is the way that Retrospect makes initial contact with client machines.

Can you clarify why there is a firewall between these machines? I'm still not clear on your setup.

Thanks

Nate

Thanks for the help, Nate.

Here is the setup: I am at a large university and I have two rooms that are on two different floors (different subnets) of a single building. On the first floor I have a OSX server running Retrospect server. It is not behind a firewall.

On the second floor I have a WinXP data acquisition machine that has been attacked before and so it is now behind a cheap Linksys firewall ( I have little control over the network so this is the best I can do to protect our most critical machine. I can't install a firewall at another level so that both Retrospect and the data acq machine are behind the same appliance.). I would like to back up the data directory from the second floor to the server on the first floor.

Any ideas?

Hi

The 2 subnet thing is a problem with Retrospect professional. I think your best bet would be to set up a VPN link with mapped drives to your data directory. Then access it using the My network browser in the Retrospect volumes window.

The client just isn't going to be very practical (Possible?) in this situation

Nate

Archived