Monthly full dump with daily incrementals?

whm

Using CDs as media, I'd like to do a full backup every month and an incremental backup every day or two but that spreads modified files across 10-20 CDs or more. To restore all the files, all the CDs are needed. I'd like each incremental to contain all the new/modified files since the full backup so that I'm not dependent on each and every of the CDs written during the month.

It seems that the effect I desire can be achieved like this:

(1) Make a new backup set (call it SetA) and do a backup into it. (It's a full backup; assume for discussion that it fits on one member.)

(2) When the first incremental backup is desired, do another backup into SetA and indicate to skip 1-SetA, causing the backup to land on 2-SetA.

(3) When the next incremental backup is desired, mark 2-SetA as missing (via Configure), and do another backup into SetA. The backup goes to 3-SetA and has all new and modified files since 1-SetA.

(4) Repeat the process for subsequent incremental backups, marking the incremental members as missing using Configure.

I've tested the above and it seems to work for both backup and restoration, and the contents look right, too, but am I overlooking anything? Is there a better way to get the same end result?

This sounds like the best approach for what you are seeking. If you need to restore, it might take a bit of wrangling to get the right snapshot (for example you may need to go through marking CDs as found before you find the correct snapshot) but there shouldn't be any problem with the data that you restore.

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

Archived