Hard Disk too small: Compression bug

crepatas

Hi,

I have the MAxtor one Touch 200GB with Retrospect EXpress 6.0 on my laptop IBM X31 with XP pro and 40Gb hard disk.

To test it I try a complete backup and restore from scratch on the same hard drive. The restore failed with the error "not enough space". The problem seams to be related to a 60GB compressed directory by the system compression: this directory itself is around 60GB (on a 40GB hard disk!!), but as I said it is compressed so it only occupay a small portion on it. The backup process does proceed without any problems since retrospect will use it own compresison algorithm, but on the restore process Retrospect forget to restore the compressed file in a compressed directory, hence the restore cannot be complete correctly.

First solution:

-Is there a way to exclude a directory in Retrospect Express 6.0?

Better solution

-Is there a way to have the restore actually restoring the actual attributes of every file? in particular for files stored in compressed directory to restore them in a compressed format?

Thanks in advance for your help

Crep

Hi

If you want Retrospect to remember which files and folders to exclude you will need to upgrade to Retrospect Professional. I think there is a special deal for Maxtor users right now so you might want to look into it.

Restoring compressed files is easy, just set a compressed folder as a subvolume in Retrospect and restore into that folder. It worked fine for me at least...

Nate

Thanks for you quick reply.

I forgot to add that what I wanted to do is to do a disaster recovery on an hard disk of the same size. From what it seams to me Retrospect will disaster-recover all folders in an uncompressed format and if there is not enough space on the disk than the disaster recovery process will FAIL.

Am I correct? ... if so, is it a bug?

Thanks

Crep

Archived